1. CJ Lai
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 30 July 2019 13:16 PM UTC

Hi all

Here is what I did (in order)

- installed Oracle 11g 64bit client on a Windows 10 64bit machine (successful). I was able to run the SQLPLUS and query our dev Oracle 11g database

- installed Powerbuilder 2017 R3 on the same machine (successful)

- installed the maintenance release (successful)

Questions-

- When I tried to create a new DB profile, only Oracle 9 and 10 are available in the drop down. How do I get the option for 11g?

- I read somewhere in the community that Powerbuilder only works with Oracle 32bit client. Is that true?

Thank you for your input/advice

CJ

Accepted Answer
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 30 July 2019 13:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

The PowerBuilder IDE is 32bit so you will need the 32bit Oracle Client for connecting in the Database Painter or running the app from the IDE.

You can deploy your app as 32bit or 64bit, the Oracle Client will have to match the bitness of the app.

You should use the 'ORA Oracle' database type on the profile window.

Comment
  1. CJ Lai
  2. Tuesday, 30 July 2019 13:54 PM UTC
Thank you, Roland, for your advice.

I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

CJ
  1. Helpful
  1. CJ Lai
  2. Monday, 5 August 2019 15:40 PM UTC
I am able to establish the connection by doing the following

- I uninstalled Oracle 11g 64bit and installed Oracle 11g 32bit instead

- Took Roland's advice on setting up the DB profile

- Used the SID/Server_Name entry in the TNSNAME file instead of the sever's IP in the Server Name field in the DB painter

- Created a system path entry TNS_ADMIN with the path to tnsname.ora as the value.

That's it.

Thanks, all!

CJ
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Dale Fuller Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 30 July 2019 21:44 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Don't for get that if you want both 32 & 64 bit Oracle clients to work properly, you'll need to make a couple symbolic links and mod the path variable.

After installing both clients in separate Oracle Homes (eg c:\Oracle\x64 and c:\Oracle\x86), create a symbolic link (eg C:\windows\System32\Oracle)  that points to the 64bit Oracle Home.   Also create a link in C:\Windows\SYSWOW64  with the same name pointing to the 32bit Oracle Home.  (Make sure you are running the correct bitness of mlink for each).  Edit PATH variable and remove references to either Oracle Homes and add C:\windows\System32\Oracle.

Whatever bitness you are running (app or IDE) windows will redirect to the proper link and will find the correct Oracle Home and dlls.  Changes to tnsnames will have to be made to both Homes. Unless you have the TNS_ADMIN environment variable set and only one tnsnames.ora.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.