1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 25 July 2019 18:48 PM UTC

Hello guys,

I'm having trouble and would like some help.

There is a software that uses PowerBuilder 11.5 for reporting (.PBL), and PowerBuilder 11.5 is no longer sold, so I downloaded the newer version (PowerBuilder 19) to generate reports (.PBL), but the software does not work when generated from this newer version.

Could you tell me how I generate reports for version 11.5 when I have version 19? Is there any kind of converter or something I have to do in Datawindow for the report (.PBL) to work on the software .

I hope you can help me.

David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 31 July 2019 16:03 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

You could outsource your report changes to someone who does have version 11.5, we at Powersoft have most versions available to our developers.

We do this for a number of companies and are happy to have menu prices for the changes.

Food for thought...

Regards

Davud

Comment
  1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. Wednesday, 31 July 2019 20:07 PM UTC
Thanks David, but there's no point I pay for something I can do!

Regards,
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Nicolas Georges Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 30 July 2019 19:34 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hello Thiago,

Did you find a solution ?

If you need a dw converter let me know at nicolas@ngs.ma

Comment
  1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. Wednesday, 31 July 2019 20:10 PM UTC
I sent you an e-mail. I will be very grateful for the help.

Regards,
  1. Helpful
Matthew Balent Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 July 2019 18:21 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

If you have a text file of a similar report from version 11.5 (say an export stored away in some source control system). You can 'roll your own' similar to what Roland has said.

You will have to look in the column definitions and remove anything from current which is not in 11.5.  Now there was plenty in 11.5 which may not have been used by your example so you might need to do a bit of 'trial and error' but this approach will work.

Note that even when an application is 'upgraded' to a newer version, the original datawindow objects are not until you do any kind of editing and saving of changes.  It's funny sometimes to see v6.5 stuff in versions 12 and up on really long lived applications!

Comment
  1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. Wednesday, 31 July 2019 20:16 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Matthew.

I have to make some changes in dw, so I need a "converter" because I made the necessary changes and saved the file. Already tried to remove lines that do not have in 11.5 directly in the source edit, but also did not work. I keep trying, will one hour work. Laughs.

Regards,
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 July 2019 16:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

You'll have to purchase a license for 2019 from Appeon and migrate the app. It is actually cheaper than the Sybase/SAP versions.

Comment
  1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. Monday, 29 July 2019 11:41 AM UTC
Hi Rolando.

That's the problem. The software does not work with newer versions. The software only works with version 11.5.

I do not know what else to do. I think I'll have to buy a license from someone who already has it.

Regards ... Thiago
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Monday, 29 July 2019 12:55 PM UTC
From a legal standpoint, the Sybase PB 11.5 license is non-transferrable. From a practical standpoint, it doesn't make business sense for you to spend money on something that is 5 versions out of date.
  1. Helpful
  1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. Wednesday, 31 July 2019 20:17 PM UTC
I understand.

Regards,
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 25 July 2019 21:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

You can export the DataWindow objects and then edit them in Notepad or whatever you use on text files.

The first line 'release ###' is the syntax version. Change 19 to 11.5. Then go to the very bottom and delete the export.pdf line.

Then someone with PowerBuilder or InfoMaker 11.5 should be able to import them from the file. If nobody has 11.5, you are going to have to upgrade the whole thing to 2019. Hopefully you have access to the current 11.5 .PBL source files.

release 19;
datawindow(units=0 timer_interval=0 color=1073741824 brushmode=0 transparency=0 gradient.angle=0 ... )

export.xml(headgroups="1" includewhitespace="0" metadatatype=0 savemetadata=0 )
import.xml()
export.pdf(method=0 distill.custompostscript="0" xslfop.print="0" nativepdf.customsize=0 ... )
export.xhtml()

Comment
  1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. Friday, 26 July 2019 16:34 PM UTC
Thanks for your response Roland.

I tried to do it here, but I was unsuccessful. I don't have PB 11.5, I only have PB 19.

I want to buy the PB 11.5 license, but I can't find a place to sell because SAP only sells version 12.6 onwards.

Regards, Thiago
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 25 July 2019 19:23 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Hi Thiago;

FYI:  Once you migrate objects to a higher version of PB, they cannot be copied & used by lower versions of PB. Their object source code has been changed reflecting newer PB version's features. Copying them back to a lower PB version, that PB IDE would not understand the newer object syntax.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 26 July 2019 16:41 PM UTC
Hi Thiago;

SAP stopped selling any PB versions just under two years ago. They stopped supporting PB just over 1 year ago.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Thiago Azevedo
  2. Wednesday, 31 July 2019 20:18 PM UTC
Yes, I heard. Now who sells the newest PB is Appeon. I already contacted them.

Regards,
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 31 July 2019 20:44 PM UTC
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.