1. Jim O'Hara
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 13 October 2020 13:21 PM UTC

Hi We are having problems printing an RTE with Powerbuilder 2017 R3. We are using build 1858. The issue is that when the we try to print to a local or network printer, the printer is not loading. Powerbuilder and the affected application are sitting on a Citrix desktop. This is NOT happening for all users. Any ideas on what we can look at to fix this? Could this be a build problem that we are unaware of?

Thanks

Jim

Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 13 October 2020 23:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Believe it or not, try rebuilding the user profiles in the Citrix environment.

We've experienced similar bizaree events and occurrences in our PB client/server apps on Citrix.

Comment
  1. Jim O'Hara
  2. Thursday, 15 October 2020 12:28 PM UTC
Ok, thanks, we did not have an issue with this until we pushed a code change out to our Citrix desktops. There are multiple users affected and there a few that are not.

Jim

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Mark Lee @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 15 October 2020 07:32 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Jim,

1. If you log into your Citrix Desktop with the Administrator account, does it have the same issue?
2. Regarding the feedback from other customers, this issue might be caused by incorrectly setting Group Policy for Printer Redirection to ensure that the client’s default printer displays in the Print Dialog. (Since I don’t have a Citrix machine, I cannot verify this at now.)
I suggest that you can refer to the workaround in the link below and see if it can solve the issue:
https://www.appeon.com/developers/get-help/knowledgebase/opening-richtextedit-control-over-terminal-services-slow.html

Another workaround is calling the external Windows API to set the printer before printing:

//Declare the following external function:
Function long GetDefaultPrinterW(ref string sPrinterName, ref long lPrinterNameBufferSize) LIBRARY "winspool.drv"
//Add the following code before calling any printing related functions:
string ls_printer
long ll_ret
ll_ret= GetDefaultPrinterW(ls_printer)
if ll_ret=0 then
        //Failed to get the printer
else
        PrintSetPrinter(ls_printer)
        …
end if

Regards,

Comment
  1. Jim O'Hara
  2. Thursday, 15 October 2020 12:24 PM UTC
I don't know, we do not have Admin rights on our citrix desktops. An update on this is that this issue is occuring for multiple users and as far as i know none of them have Admin rights on these desktops. this would be something to try though.

Thanks

Jim

1. Helpful
Jim O'Hara Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 15 October 2020 13:16 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Mark, I forgot to mention that this issue is happening for any of the printers that the user has selected. We pushed a code change out to the desktops to correct a different application issue that had nothing to do with printing and the user was not experiencing this before the latest code push.

Jim

Comment
  1. Mark Lee @Appeon
  2. Saturday, 24 October 2020 05:42 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

This is so strange. Are this different application and the one has the print issue both deployed based on PowerBuilder 2017 R3 Build 1858?

Are there differences with the Runtime packages of these two applications?

As you said, "This is NOT happening for all users." Can you compare the machine environment differences between the users that occur this issue and that don’t have the issue?

Regards,
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.