1. Kevin Ridley
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 7 July 2020 20:53 PM UTC

There's some good articles on using GIT with PB2017 R2, but I haven't been able to find anything specific for PB2019.  PB2017 R2 required using the PBG file and storing the PBLs.  My understanding is that we no longer need the PBG file and no longer store the PBL files.  Is there any newer articles for PB2019?  Do we now create the PBLs from source using Orcascript?

Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 July 2020 21:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Armeen, yes I've been using GIT with PB2017 R2 for about 2 years now without a lot of issues.  I started with Bruce's bootcamp which was excellent, but that and the other how to articles are all from 2017 R2.  There have been a bunch of enhancements since then so I was looking for something that would explain what we'll do different for 2019 - specifically R2, which is what we plan to use.  What I'm specifically looking for, is do we just do everything the same and store the PBLs in our repository?  I had heard that wasn't necessary anymore, maybe that's not true.  I'm able to create a repository, do Add To Source Control, and do commits, push/pull, revert etc. same as I've been doing for 2 years.  If storing the PBLs is the recommended way to go, even in 2019 R2 that's fine, just didn't think we had to do that anymore.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 7 July 2020 22:10 PM UTC
Oh I see. Well then just jump to the 3 articles I posted below.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 July 2020 21:39 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Kevin,

PBG's are never used through native interface.  These are only used by the legacy MSSCAPI interface.

I recommend using PB 2019 R2 not PB 2019.  In R2 we enhanced it to support branching for Git as well as fixed some bugs.

I would recommend first starting with the Git bootcamp by Bruce Armstrong, which is based on PB 2017 R3: https://www.appeon.com/developers/library/videos/git-bootcamp.html

Then, I recommend reading through these tech articles to familiarize yourself with the enhancements we did in PB 2019 R2 and how to use them properly:

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.