1. Lynn A Haynes
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 14 June 2019 21:07 PM UTC

I am in the process of migrating several PB applications from PB 12.5 to PB 2019. We are using PowerVCS for source control. Does the migration fundamentally change the underlying objects, such that the repository needs updating? If so, I need to figure out whether I want to create a new baseline PowerVCS project, or stick with the existing one. 

TIA...

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 17 June 2019 14:22 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Michael;

FWIW:   You are 100% when you say ... "create a Branch in source control". That should always be the practice (IMHO) with any SCM in preparation for any software migration.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Monday, 17 June 2019 17:25 PM UTC
Presumably you would be implementing the migration as part of a new version of the application so a special branch just for the migration would be duplicative.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 16 June 2019 23:07 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hey Lynn,
First time you check-in a class or DW object from PB 2019 IDE, your PB 12.5 IDE will no longer be able to read it. Source created by PB 2019 IDE will result in syntax errors if you do Get Latest Version in PB 12.5 due to new features in PB 2019. Starting with application object being invalid due to UI Themes.

One option would be to create a Branch in source control. Current "trunk" for code in PB 12.5 could remain trunk for maintenance in PB 12.5. The new branch could be "trunk" for PB 19.

You therefore retain full history and I guess (with no personal experience in PowerVCS) that diff'ing between check-ins in PB 12.5 and PB 2019 would be fairly straightforward.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Monday, 17 June 2019 13:13 PM UTC
The new properties in the Application and DataWindow aren't part of migration, they are added when you edit the object in 2019. So technically the migration doesn't change anything. You are correct that if they ever wanted to GLV in 12.5 after using 2019, there would be objects that fail to import.

We use TFS and are not planning on doing anything special for the migration from 12.5 to 2019.
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 15 June 2019 13:26 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

We are moving from 12.5 to 2019 where I work and there are no changes at all to the source code. There are new properties in the application object and datawindow but they don't appear until you actually edit them in the painter.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 14 June 2019 21:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Lynn;

Any PB migration phase will change most of your App's object's source code by adding in possible new properties, events and/or methods "under the covers". A PS2019 will thus also do this as well to your underlying App's object source. So yes, you should plan for these global object changes from your SCM perspective.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.