1. Kiat Chun
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 30 December 2021 08:05 AM UTC

Hi team,

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and decided to reinstall PB 2021. However this download problem keeps occurring.

I have followed the instruction to 'Allow Connection' in Firewall Outbound Rules for both PowerBuilderInstaller_setup.exe and PowerBuilderInstaller.exe both 8x6 and x64, but still no avail. Can you help ?

Aubrey Lin @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 31 December 2021 09:20 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Kiat,

Generally, the installer requires the admin privilege to run so in that case it ensures the privilege to download the files to any directory selected. 

We are thinking of improving the installer so we are hoping you can help us reproduce this issue locally to make sure the change we make can fix this properly and to also verify the fix locally. Can you provide some information like how are the privilege of this folder is delegated? Why didn't it have sufficient privilege to download files to this folder even though you already ran it as admin?

If these questions are not related to the cause of the issue, please advise otherwise. Thanks in advance!

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 5 January 2022 10:38 AM UTC
Very frequently people mistake "being an adminstator" with "running as adminstrator". You have to right click on pb and choose "RUN as Administrator" even if your user has admin rights. Maybe that could play a role here?
  1. Helpful
  1. Aubrey Lin @Appeon
  2. Friday, 7 January 2022 02:08 AM UTC
Hi Miguel,

Yes, "being an administrator" and "running as administrator" are different as an administrator user has two set of privileges (full admin privilege and reduced privileges). But the installer is designed to require admin privileges to run. When you simply double-click the installer to run and it detects it's not using admin privileges, it pops up a UAC window for elevated privileges. So either way, the install ensures the full admin privilege.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 7 January 2022 23:25 PM UTC
True Aubrey!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 31 December 2021 04:50 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Kiat;

I've done a few W11 PB2021 installs thus far with no such issues. I suspect that your issue was related to Active Directory Privileges in your environment as set by your O/S admin team.

However next time - regardless of the O/S or PB version - I would not recommend using the online installer. Instead, use the offline "package" install  route. HTH in the future.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Kiat Chun
  2. Tuesday, 4 January 2022 05:39 AM UTC
Good idea Olan, I will download the offline installer.
  1. Helpful
  1. Kiat Chun
  2. Tuesday, 4 January 2022 05:40 AM UTC
Thanks Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. David Peace (Powersoft)
  2. Friday, 7 January 2022 16:19 PM UTC
I concur, we always download the insyaller first (then keep it for use on all installations).
  1. Helpful
Kiat Chun Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 31 December 2021 02:11 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Just to update, I think I found the solution. Folder C:\ProgramData\Appeon did not have sufficient privilege for install to begin download even though logged in and run as Admin.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 31 December 2021 04:16 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.