1. Marco Diers
  2. PowerServer 2020 or older (Obsolete)
  3. Monday, 2 May 2022 11:35 AM UTC

Hi,

does PowerServer 2020 PB Edition work in a Docker Container in Azure Cloud?
Does anyone have practical experience with this?

Regards,
Marco Diers

Marco Diers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 3 May 2022 15:06 PM UTC
  3. # 1

Hi Armeen,

ok. Thank you very much for you comments.

(I won't try and test that cool )

Regards,
Marco Diers

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 3 May 2022 16:07 PM UTC
You're very welcome, and glad to see you are trying to take advantage of new features we added like Docker. :-)
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Marco Diers Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 3 May 2022 07:26 AM UTC
  3. # 2

Hi Armeen,

we're already using PowerServer 2021 also, but for other requirements. Especially for this requirement we have to use PowerServer 2020. In the Installation Guide there is a setting "WorkWithAzure"in the SilentInstall.ini. So it seems that this scenario should work. Or what does this setting exaclty do?
https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/installation_guide_for_powerserver_pb_edition/ch08s02s01.html
Or does it mean to work in a Windows Azure environment without a docker container?
If so, which Azure environment does it exaclty mean?
The document only says "Sets whether to work with the Windows Azure environment."

If I were using a Windows Server Docker Image with IIS I don't see any reason at the moment why it shouldn't work. 
But before installing and testing it by my own, which is also expensive, I'm asking here, because it's easier and faster. And maybe someone has had experience with it.

Is it really technically not possible to get this working?

Regards,
Marco Diers

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 3 May 2022 13:27 PM UTC
The Azure setting is to run on traditional VM in Azure. As I said, Docker not supported in the old versions. Try and see for yourself.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 2 May 2022 16:21 PM UTC
  3. # 3

Hi Marco, PowerServer 2020 and older versions is traditional Web architecture that is not compatible with containerization technology, such as Docker.  In the 2021 version we revamped PowerServer's architecture to be cloud-native and also switched to the cross-OS .NET Core framework that supports both Windows and Linux.  So please upgrade to PowerServer 2021 or newer.  

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.