1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Monday, 17 August 2020 11:21 AM UTC

Hi,

I have read the white paper and it sounds absolutely amazing! :-)

3 Questions: 

1. Can I deploy the PB application to a webserver in Azure and then access/run it from inside the organization?  (invoke first time using a web browser)
  2. Are there any additional costs other that the PowerBuilder license ?
  3. The deployment procedure is that invoked from PowerBuilder IDE or can I create my own installer that can deploy the application to a webserver?

I am fully aware that this is not the PowerServer deployment and that the application code runs on the local machine using local resources like database etc.

Thanks

Steen

Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 20 August 2020 01:13 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Richard, 

Regarding your question, "Do you plan to have mechanisms to support multiple applications? We create multiple apps but only some go to some clients.",

Can you further explain what "multiple applications" mean? What’s the behavior of  multiple applications in PB C/S? You say "only some go to some clients", so what happen to the other applications? 

Best regards, Julie

Comment
  1. Ricardo Jasso
  2. Thursday, 20 August 2020 17:41 PM UTC
Julie, let me chip in on what Richard might say. We have an ERP for a customer that consists of 15 relatively small PowerBuilder applications (like modules). Source code is shared among applications as needed. Each has its own version and each is installed to different persons within the company; procurement, warehouse, sales, accounting, etc. They are all C/S applications connecting to the same database. All applications are used but not all users use all applications (sounds like a riddle). Each application needs to be updated automatically each time a new version of it is built and released. Based on Armeen's comment above there should be no problem with this scenario.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Richard Lynskey Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 17 August 2020 18:35 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Is the plan to have the Appeon installer handle updates automatically in the background or will the users have to re-run it?

If it's automatic, is there a plan to allow users to delay updates?

Do you plan to have mechanisms to support multiple applications? We create multiple apps but only some go to some clients.

Comment
  1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. Tuesday, 18 August 2020 05:41 AM UTC
The idea is to automatically update the PB application. I think that a prompt to the user is not good and most will skip it and not get the important updates. But I dont know for sure how PowerClient manages that.

I believe you have to manage your deployments your self and give different customers different installation urls just like you would with and installation program.

Just my 2 cents :-)
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 19 August 2020 16:01 PM UTC
Yes, the Appeon Installer will automatically handle updates. It checks each time the app is started. The user doesn't need to do anything.

There are no configurable update strategies. In future versions we will consider to give options. Please send your ideas about this to product@appeon.com so it gets considered.

It already supports multiple applications. Each application is deployed to its own folder on the Web server and is independent from the other applications deployed.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 17 August 2020 14:48 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

1. Yes, you can host the web server anywhere.

2. No, there is no extra cost.  You just need PowerBuilder Professional Edition or higher.

3. You do not create your own installer.  Appeon provides the installer.

Comment
  1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. Tuesday, 18 August 2020 05:43 AM UTC

Hi Armeen,

Thank you the the reply and i like the answers :-)

3 more questions:

1. What about the permissions required to install the PB application?

Usually when installing an application in general the user logged into windows needs to be local admin.

2. In my case I have many additional files that needs to go into a number of subfolders under the main installation folder. can that be done ?

3. I have 3 ActiveX controls that should be registered. can that be done?

(Only the PB application is using the controls, so they do not need to be registered for other programs to use.)

Thanks.

// Steen

ps.

I think Appeon is really good at providing the right enhancements to PowerBuilder.

Sybase wans completely out of touch with their user base and did so little broadly useful enhancements. All that "java" and EA server "shit" was completely useless for 99% of the PB developers.

SO ... Thank you for taking so good care of PowerBuilder it is most appreciated and worth the subscription fee. (I have 2 Cloud licenses)

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 18 August 2020 13:40 PM UTC
1. Admin rights only required to get the application updater installed and any external DLLs installed/registered.

2. Yes, you can package additional files with your app.

3. Yes, you can package and register OCX/ActiveX, but this will require user to have admin privileges.
  1. Helpful
  1. Steen Jakobsen
  2. Wednesday, 19 August 2020 04:39 AM UTC
Excellent, Thank you. Looking SO MUCH forward.

1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.