1. Thomas Leach
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 30 January 2020 17:51 PM UTC

Greetings,

Our applications are running PB12.6 with a Sybase 16 database, Windows 2012 R2 server, Windows 10 desktop.  Citrix is in the mix also.  When our PB applications run in the field, users get 'No Response' message in the title bar of the window they are working in.  System gets very slow, sometimes hangs up, sometimes crashes.  

Had a call with Microsoft this week because these problems seemed to start after the user base was upgraded to Windows 10.

Once Microsoft realized these were PB applications with a Sybase database they directed me to contact Sybase.

My question:  Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?  Can you point me in a direction of where the problem might be?  Will an upgrade to PB 2019 make these problems magically go away? :)

Thank You,

Tom

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 30 January 2020 21:41 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Thomas;

Sounds like you could also be using SQL Anywhere v16 for the DBMS (not ASE 16) and I am not sure how Citrix is involved in your original description. Can you tell us ...

1) Are the W10 users on real PC's or VM's?

2) Where are the PB App's EXE(s) located?

3) Exact DBMS flavour?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Thomas Leach
  2. Friday, 31 January 2020 21:28 PM UTC
Also, Citrix Version 2012.
  1. Helpful
  1. Thomas Leach
  2. Monday, 3 February 2020 17:41 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

In addition to possible Citrix issues, do you know if there are any known issues with a Sybase 16 ASE Cluster Edition database running on a Windows 2012 R2 server?

Thank You,

Tom Leach

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 3 February 2020 19:41 PM UTC
Hi Tom;

FWIW: None that I have heard of but, that does not mean that there are not any. Best to touch base with SAP on that one IMHO.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 30 January 2020 18:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

PowerBuilder 12.6 has been end-of-lifed by SAP - - and SAP never officially supported PowerBuilder 12.6 on Windows 10.

PowerBuilder 12.6 support included PB 12.6 with ASE 16.0 - but remember past tense. If you want to run PowerBuilder with ASE 16.0 on Windows 10 you can choose between PB 2017 and PB 2019. Note, PB  2017 R3 is the current long-term support version of PowerBuilder.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Thomas Leach
  2. Friday, 31 January 2020 15:04 PM UTC
Thank You Michael and Stuart:

Stuart,

Thank you for that information. Do you have an example of this "disabling of the ghosting feature" and where you put it in the application, which object/event etc. Also, once this code is put in, will it disable the ghosting feature application wide? In other words, put this line of code here and I won't see this 'Not Responding' message on any window in the application...

Thank You,

Tom
  1. Helpful
  1. Thomas Leach
  2. Friday, 31 January 2020 16:11 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

PB 2019 is supported correct? You stated that, " PB 2017 R3 is the current long-term support version of PowerBuilder." Do you mean that 2017 has more applications running on it?
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Friday, 31 January 2020 16:31 PM UTC
No, I referred to Appeon's support policy where the R3 version has been tagged "LTS" meaning Appeon will keep it in bugfixing for at least 2-3 as I remember the policy. Check Appeon's support pages for precise "legalese".

Bugs in PB 2019 GA will be fixed by upgrade to PB 2019 R2.

Microsoft has similar long-term support designation for certain .NET Core versions but not all. Like .NET Core 2.1 is LTS tagged. So is .NET Core 3.1. However, neither .NET Core 2.2 nor 3.0 was LTS tagged. I believe .NET 5 will not become LTS but .NET 6 will (in a couple of years).
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.