1. Ashok kumar Parthiban
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 30 January 2020 07:21 AM UTC

Hi Team,

I have few clarification questions regarding to our new upgrade project for our power builder application.

Currently we are using Power builder 2017 R2 build version for our application and Oracle database 11g. we have planned to upgrade the Oracle database to 12C,

1. Is Power builder 2017 R2 build will support Oracle 12C database?
  2. Also could you feedback whether we need to take care any specific things while upgrading to Oracle 12C to support Power Builder 2017 R2?
Accepted Answer
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 30 January 2020 08:09 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

1 = Yes

2 = No, not that I know of. We are using 11g and 12c without any problems, except for maybe (not completely sure on which 12c version), big differences in prices of licensing, especially if you have it running on powerserver.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 30 January 2020 20:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Ashok;

1)  Yes, PB2017Rx supports O12C.

=> For best DML flexibility & performance you should use the native connection ( SQLCA.DBMS = "ORA"  )

2)  You should be using the O12C DB Client.

=> You can use either the Full or "Instant" Oracle DB client install

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 31 January 2020 03:55 AM UTC
In addition to what Chris said:

If you are doing any .Net development or connect to oracle in Excel, you'll need the Oracle ODP Client to be installed:

- In 11g the ODP client is installed by default when you install the "runtime" client install (not when "instant").

- In Oracle 12, this is no longer the case, you have to manually select the .net ODP options when installing the "runtime" client. I'm not sure if it'll be installed when installing the "full" client.

1. Helpful
Ashok kumar Parthiban Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 30 January 2020 08:47 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thanks Miguel!! Which 12c version you are using so far?

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 30 January 2020 10:01 AM UTC
We are using:

Version 12.1.0.2.0 (can't obtain the version of the other 12 version (2) we are using as server is down).

BEWARE of one thing:

I've had problems in the past when trying to use 12c with PowerSERVER (32bit install). The solution was to use 11g.

Other people have had similar problems with .Net / ODP and or Powerserver. NOT sure if Oracle has finally fixed that bug.

Please see:

https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/seek-for-advice-on-sqlca-setting-in-powerbuilder-web?limitstart=0#reply-12629

1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.