1. William Preston
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 17 October 2019 15:15 PM UTC

PBVM190.dll deployment PB19

Where can I find PBVM190.dll? Is there an msi file to register the dll on client computers?

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 17 October 2019 16:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi William;

The "PB Packager" utility will package the PBVM190.dll and other run-time DLL's for you into an MSI in order for you to deploy with your PB App(s).

Regards ... Chris

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
William Preston Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 17 October 2019 17:02 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Chris,

How can I get to the PB Packager Utility?

Comment
  1. Mariano Collado @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 17 October 2019 17:56 PM UTC
Hi William,

Open Windows search and look for "PowerBuilder Runtime Packager"

Please consult the Runtime Packager documentation here: https://docs.appeon.com/appeon_online_help/pb2019/application_techniques/ch35s02.html
  1. Helpful
  1. Mark Lee @Appeon
  2. Friday, 18 October 2019 01:48 AM UTC
Hi William,

Your can also find the "PowerBuilder Runtime Packager" exe file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Shared\PowerBuilder\pbpack190.exe
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 17 October 2019 17:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

PowerBuilder runtime files don't have to be registered. The only time you have to register a DLL is if it implements a COM interface.

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 17 October 2019 18:06 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

If you don't want to use the Packager, you can find the files here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Shared\PowerBuilder

There is a Runtime Files topic in the help that will tell you which files are required.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 17 October 2019 19:34 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi William;

Should be listed from the O/S "Start" => "Appeon PowerBuilder 2019" => "PowerBuilder Runtime Packager"  system menu sequence.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Miguel Angel Martin Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 6 May 2021 06:42 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6
PBVM190.dll and PBPack190.exe dont exist on C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Shared\PowerBuilder\.

Where i can find them?.

Thank you
Comment
  1. Andrew Barnes
  2. Friday, 7 May 2021 17:17 PM UTC
Thanks Miguel and Mike,

We have our exe and runtime separate. Our folder structure is C:\CSPROD\PBEXEC for the production EXE, PBD, etc. C:\CSPROD\PBDLLS for the runtime. Our shortcuts that we generate automatically do have the Start in set to C:\CSPROD\PBDLLS although we also put that folder in the path so that the apps will run if a user creates their own desktop shortcut or simply double-clicks on the exe from explorer.

Miguel, Regarding the Start In, if under the C:\CSPROD\PBDLLS if create subfolders for the various runtimes, i.e. "Runtime 19.2.0.2556", "Runtime 19.3.0.1234", etc. where do I point my Runtime to C:\CSPROD\PBDLLS or to the specific runtime "C:\CSPROD\PBDLLS\Runtime 19.2.0.2556"?

1. Helpful
  1. Andrew Barnes
  2. Friday, 7 May 2021 17:23 PM UTC
Hi Armeen, I appreciate your time and the additional information. PowerClient certainly might be an option, although I am thinking that it would be enough of a sea change that we would probably like to experiment with it after getting ourselves ported over to PB2019 from PB2017, rather than tie our migration to its adoption. Good information though.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 7 May 2021 18:31 PM UTC
Yes, makes total sense to first get upgraded before implementing anything new.
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 6 May 2021 21:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

I guess we're going to have people asking this same question over and over again until everyone has migrated or everyone has read the release notes.

Not meant as an offence to anyone, and maybe Appeon could have done something to avoid people asking this same question over and over... Like, I don't know, an informational warning message when installing the new version that the naming of DLLs have changed to no longer include any version numbers.

Not blaming this on Appeon either, people should read the release notes, though myself I've been guilty many times of not doing that, since there weren't many changes in powerbuilder at this kind of level in the past 20+ years.

regards.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 6 May 2021 22:08 PM UTC
How about we do a pop-up message read the migration guide? https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/upgrading_pb_apps/ch04s01.html

Every time you upgrade app to a newer version of PB the developer should be going through this guide to make necessary adjustments.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 6 May 2021 22:17 PM UTC
LOL, yes not a bad idea, but just for the important stuff maybe. Have them read all (or scroll all the way down to the end), before they can continue the install.

Sad thing though, people would just do ctrl+end and click install without reading anything.

:)

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 7 May 2021 18:31 PM UTC
You may be right!
  1. Helpful
Mark Anthony Cabanlit Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 9 May 2021 02:39 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8
Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 9 May 2021 07:09 AM UTC
We aren't putting the runtime DLLs on that page any longer starting from PB 2019 R3. There is separate runtime installer now. https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/application_techniques/ch09s02.html#Installing_PowerBuilder_Runtime
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.