1. Ganesan Rajan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 20 May 2020 13:32 PM UTC

Hi,

I am trying to understand how Git will suite as SCM for our product(currently in Pb2017R3). So I am doing a PoC to check its feasibility.

Can you kindly answer these questions?

1) If an object is modified in a PBL, the PBL goes unsync even after GitPush. I found this after installation of tortoise git.
Should we have to commit and Push the PBL separately every time? Leaving the PBL unsync will do any harm?

2) Is Gitpull/push possible only for specific PBL or Object? OR should we do Git Push/Pull only at workspace level?

3) Created a pupblic repository in Github and successfully added my source to PB2017R3 via git. Able to perform Git commit, Git Push etc.
I asked one of my team member to open PB2017R3. He choose 'COnnect to workspace'. He gave my Github repo URL. He gave his GIthub userid and password. Test connection fails.
Woudn't PB allow to connect to my Github public repo by other GitHUb users?

Sorry for too many questions in one bunch.

Note: We are not going to migrate to PB2019 in near future.

Thanks a ton,

Ganesan R

Tom Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 21 May 2020 05:34 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Ganesan,

#1. You should avoid committing and pushing PBLs after the initial upload. You only need it when you add a new PBL. Committing PBLs after the initial upload would cause conflicts as PBLs are binary files that cannot be automatically compared and merged.   

#2. Committing is the time you choose which objects to submit. Git Push puts all your commits from your local repository to the Git server. So it is only available at the workspace level. On the other hand, Git Pull gets all the new commits on the Git server and merge them to your local repository.

#3. Public repository in Github allows other users to download the project from the website. You need to go to the repository setting and add your colleague as a collaborator before he can perform Git commit, etc.

Regards,

Tom Jiang

Comment
  1. Ganesan Rajan
  2. Friday, 5 June 2020 12:59 PM UTC
Thank you Tim, It helps.

Ganesan R
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.