1. Kevin Ridley
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 8 December 2021 22:32 PM UTC

We are upgrading from PB12.1 w SVN to PB 2021 with native SVN.  Our libraries all migrated just fine, now we're setting up a new repository.  The Add To Source control worked well, but we had trouble being able to lock objects.  Our userid/pw was not saved to our local svn.  We solved this with the help of support by installing TortoiseSVN and adding/committing text file.  We are now able to lock and update objects.  The issue we're having now is we can't see each other's locked objects in PB 2021.  I can see my own, and I can't lock anything someone else has locked, I just can't see anything that anyone else has locked out until I try to lock something that's already locked.  Has anyone else seen this?  How did you resolve it?  I've added this info to my open ticket.

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 14 December 2021 08:24 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

TortoiseSVN in Windows Explorer also has same behavior as PB IDE.  It has icons for committed, modified, conflicted, untracked, etc., but doesn't show items locked by other developers.

Comment
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Tuesday, 14 December 2021 13:31 PM UTC
That's interesting. Can we look into the possibility of retrieving status from the server so we can be BETTER than TortoiseSVN? Seems like they probably started with TortoiseGIT and mirrored it to TortoiseSVN, since GIT has no idea (nor does it care) what other developers are doing. The main reason most people would pick SVN over GIT is to be able to checkout objects and have them locked. It would be very very helpful to us developers! ;)
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 14 December 2021 16:54 PM UTC
Yes, we are looking into adding this to some future release.
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Tuesday, 14 December 2021 23:40 PM UTC
Sweet! That would be great.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 13 December 2021 13:06 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I got a reply from Tom Jiang on this for bug 7629.  I had mentioned the SVN Update thinking it might be an "Update Status" option, which would be great, but unfortunately he explained that the SVN Update option just basically checks your local repository for objects that may have been edited outside the IDE and brings them into PB.  I tried the Refresh menu option also and that doesn't get the server status of objects like we were hoping (actually not sure what it does).  Anyway, as I said in the ticket, I can understand not having the ide constantly polling the server to get objects' statuses.  But that being said, we ABSOLUTELY need a way for PB to query the SVN server to get the status of objects.  I would think the Refresh option would do this, but I guess not.  The native SVN implementation is incomplete (imo) without this.  If we can lookup in SVN outside of PB and know who has what locked, we should be able to do it from PB.

Comment
Tom Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 10 December 2021 07:33 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Kevin,

This works as designed and it is not bug. With the new SVN/Git integration, you are encouraged to use the merge feature as opposite to traditional check out/check in process.

In other words, you can still work on an object even when it is locked. After the lock is released from the other person, you can do an update on the object and it will merge the other person's changes automatically with your changes into the object in your workspace. You could then commit you changes.

So basically, SVN/Git doesn't not connect to the server until you need to update or commit changes. It has little value or even could cause some issue to constantly connect to the server and refresh the status of all the objects in your workspace. .

BTW, we also suggest that you try the SVN diff and SVN Edit Conflicts on the workspace context menu that helps in the merging process whenever needed.

Regards,

Tom Jiang

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 10 December 2021 19:40 PM UTC
Hi Miguel ... Yes, SVN supports locks AND so does GIT but, only if you have the "Enterprise" edition installed.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 10 December 2021 20:03 PM UTC
Hi Miguel, Yes SVN does support locks but it works differently than historically what we are used to with SourceSafe or other legacy source control systems. Kevin's point was that when a file is locked other PB developers can't see the locked status in the PB IDE. Here is detail documentation how lock works for SVN: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2021/pbug/Using_Source_Control.html#svn_lock
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Friday, 10 December 2021 22:39 PM UTC
Chris, Armeen, thanks for clearing it up!
  1. Helpful
Kevin Ridley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 9 December 2021 17:14 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Thanks Chris.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 9 December 2021 17:10 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Kevin;

Thanks, I see your issue & latest comments in ticket #7629.

I have asked the main Appeon support team's SCC experts to "chime in" on this problem.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.