1. Peter Andrews
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 4 March 2021 13:49 PM UTC

Good morning,

I would like to connect with someone who has made the journey from PB11.5 to PB2019R3.

Thank you

Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 8 April 2021 16:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

To anyone who is using the PFC classes for pb 2019:

Bruce has updated (today) the downloadable ZIP file with the latest changes.

The changes were in "ws_objects" but not yet in the ZIP.

These changes mean that - if you rely on the PBDOM included in this version of PFC - these classes will work only for PB 2019 R3.

Personally I don't agree/understand why the PBDOM has to be included in the pfcs because any time Appeon does an update, someone has to remember to update the PFCs.
Probably someone made a dependency on them somewhere and therefore included them.

Just remember, if you use any 2019 version prior to R3, you'll have to edit the pbdom objects and change "pbdom.pbx" to "pbdom190.pbx".

regards

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Vijay Gopalakrishnan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 5 March 2021 01:36 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

We have migrated from PowerBuilder 11.5 to PowerBuilder 2019 R2 version, our migration was smooth no issues, because we don't use PFC. Our migration was straight forward. 

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 7 April 2021 16:34 PM UTC
Hi Miguel, Bruce who is spearheading the open-source project for PFC mentioned to me that PFC was modified long time ago to no longer reference the runtime. So the latest version on GitHub should be compatible with PB 2019 R3: https://github.com/OpenSourcePFCLibraries
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 8 April 2021 09:54 AM UTC
I posted the question on GitHub and downloaded the latest version.

One of the things that have to be changed, is the pfc_n_cst_platform object to use a specific value in the is_classes[] variable. Fun fact: It was ME myself who adapted the PFC's for 2019 R3.

However, when you just download the ZIP file, my changes aren't there (yet?).

I'll keep you posted on answers as for why the changes aren't there, as I can't imagine a typical user would connect to github to do a refresh after having downloaded the zip file.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Thursday, 8 April 2021 09:56 AM UTC
(the latest latest changes can be found in the "ws_objects" folder).
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 March 2021 15:23 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Olan is exactly right, many people have migrated from older versions of PowerBuilder.  Coming from 11.5 should be easy.  You can refer to the migration guide to understand what changed since 11.5 that would affect migration: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2019r3/upgrading_pb_apps/ch12.html

Maybe this feedback/discussion help you in convincing leadership: https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/can-anyone-share-their-experience-or-recommendation-on-migration-from-old-version-of-powerbuilder-or-hiring-of-consultants-for-purpose-of-migration

Comment
  1. Peter Andrews
  2. Thursday, 4 March 2021 15:30 PM UTC
Thanks Armeen!

Very helpful
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 4 March 2021 15:32 PM UTC
You're very welcome!
  1. Helpful
Peter Andrews Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 March 2021 14:47 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Thank you Olan.

At this point it is good to know that many in the community have undertaken this journey. Successfully and with no major hiccups I presume.

We will potentially undertake that journey once leadership makes the decision next week.

In the meantime, we have downloaded the trial version and are setting up the Sql Server 2019 environment to do a test upgrade and migration.

My tech lead and I will certainly come back with questions.

Thanks once again for your time

Peter

Comment
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 March 2021 14:08 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

What is it you seek?
Many of us on the Forum have made that journey. In my case I went from 12.1 to R3. Just let us know what you need.

Later -
Olan

Comment
  1. Peter Andrews
  2. Thursday, 4 March 2021 15:30 PM UTC
Thank you Olan.

At this point it is good to know that many in the community have undertaken this journey. Successfully and with no major hiccups I presume.

We will potentially undertake that journey once leadership makes the decision next week.

In the meantime, we have downloaded the trial version and are setting up the Sql Server 2019 environment to do a test upgrade and migration.

My tech lead and I will certainly come back with questions.

Thanks once again for your time
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.