1. Jorge Gonzalez
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 04:17 AM UTC

We've migrated two Powerbuilder 2017/pfc  apps over to PB 2021. When we run the project object to generate the exe for both apps the build process kills Powerbuilder. It happens during the 'inspecting the application objects' phase of the build process. The Apps are 20-30 pibbles in size. There is nothing unusual about these apps. We've had other people try generating the exe and the same happens.  We've migrated and ran the project object on smaller app and the build process works fine.

I created a small PB2021 app and was able to create the exe.

Note. We've created new project objects for these apps and it still crashes.

We are running Windows 10. PB version 2021 Build 1311.

The apps were in PB version 2017  R3 Build 1858. They connect to a DB2 Mainframe database and also connect to Filenet.

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 19:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Jorge;

When you migrated, did you replace the 2017 PFC layer with the latest PFC layer for PB2021?

FYI: https://github.com/OpenSourcePFCLibraries

Regards .... Chris

Comment
  1. Jorge Gonzalez
  2. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 19:44 PM UTC
I just checked with the other Powerbuilder developer and he's migrated 3 PB/PFC apps over to PB 2021 and they compiled successfully using the project object. These were small apps. Less then 5 pibbles.
  1. Helpful
  1. Jorge Gonzalez
  2. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 21:50 PM UTC
Chris we replaced one of the problem apps PFC objects with the newer PFC objects and the project object is working. Thanks
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 22:15 PM UTC
Hi Jorge ... that is awesome news! Thanks for sharing. ;-)
  1. Helpful 1
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 17:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Does it crash when you run it in the PowerBuilder IDE or only the compiled app crashes?

Does it always crash at same point in the app?

Have you tested on another machine to see it consistently crashes in all environments?

Comment
  1. Jorge Gonzalez
  2. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 19:23 PM UTC
**For our packet creator(PC) and appeal utils (AP) apps they both work from the IDE. The build process for PC stops with a message saying inspecting application objects and Powerbuilder (PB) crashes. The exe created does not work. If I deploy by right clicking on the workspace object it does the same thing the project object did. PB crashes and a non-functioning exe is created.

For our AP application I run the project object and it also says inspecting application objects before it crashes PB but it creates a viable exe. If I deploy the AP application by right clicking on the workspace object the exe is created successfully without crashing PB.

**The crashes always happen at the same place

** Yes we tested on another machine at is also happening on the other machine.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 2 February 2022 19:53 PM UTC
Oh I see. Seems there is problem with one of the PBLs. Have you tried regenerating the problematic PBL?
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.