1. mathews rutto
  2. PowerServer
  3. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 08:42 AM UTC

Hi,

Which way Linux or Windows the better option to host powerser2021 (APS.NET)?

I will appreciate your guidance.

mathews rutto Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 18:53 PM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 1

Have decided to host in Linux cause am familiar with it.

Have tried to follow below step, have chosen Deployment mode as direct and also package the compiled app and manually deploy later.

have copied zip file and extract to location /usr/share/nginx but still i can't run the application.

Where am i going wrong?

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 21:42 PM UTC
This is just the client portion of the app. You also need to compile and deploy the C# REST APIs using SnapDevelop. I recommend first reading these instructions: https://docs.appeon.com/ps2021/Creating_a_standalone_installable_package.html
  1. Helpful 2
  1. Julie Jiang @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 22 September 2021 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Mathews,

Are you using Apache as the web server on Linux? If so, please check the instructions at https://docs.appeon.com/ps2021/Setting_up_Apache_on_Linux.html, and pay special attention to step #5 at https://docs.appeon.com/ps2021/Installing_Apache_HTTP_Server_Linux.html. PowerBuilder is designed to be case-insensitive, so, in a case-sensitive system like Linux, some app files (such as images) may not be found or loaded. Step #5 explains how to ignore case-sensitive in Apache on Linux to avoid any issue caused by the case of file name.

If you use another web server, please be aware of the case-sensitivity issue too and make similar configuration on the web server.

Best regards, Julie
  1. Helpful
  1. mathews rutto
  2. Wednesday, 22 September 2021 05:22 AM UTC
Julie, am using nginx on linux
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 15:45 PM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 2

Hi Matthews,

My personal suggestion is that you go with whichever OS you are most knowledgeable in.  There isn't going to be a huge difference in performance for most situations.  Some believe Linux is more secure than Windows OS, but at end of the day if you don't know what you are doing then you may do more harm than good.  Last thing to point out is if you are hosting with cloud provider, Linux instances are usually priced less than Windows instances.  But the cost difference should not be huge.  So I think the key criteria in making this decision is the depth of your knowledge and experience with these OS.  Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
  1. mathews rutto
  2. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 16:03 PM UTC
Thank you this information is helpful
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 16:11 PM UTC
Glad it is helpful!
  1. Helpful
Francisco Martinez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 14:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 3

Hi Mathews,

I found this article that compares Linux deployment vs Windows deployment for ASP.NET Core apps on a specific use case. It's conclusions are as follows:

Windows or Linux? That's down to personal preference. If you are comfortable with writing SSH commands and want cheap web hosting, it has to be Linux.

However, if you are familiar with Windows and it's UI, then that will be the path to go down.

Regardless of which you choose, the performance should be identical.

On the other hand, this article/study suggests that a Linux deployment might be slightly more performant than a Windows deployment.

I hope this can give you a general idea.

Regards,
Francisco

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 21 September 2021 16:38 PM UTC
You can also host your own linux server with a graphical UI and not having to do any SSH.
  1. Helpful 2
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.