1. Rajkumar K S
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 1 April 2023 16:34 PM UTC

Hi Team,

Recently I have added my source code to Git source control, unfortunately PB application crashes and open new PB IDE then it will showing the error messages "Initialization file is not writable. Cannot continue ". I have uninstalled all the PB related items and installed again but the same error message is showing. Please let us know how to resolve this issue. 

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Rajkumar K S

Csquare Solutions

Accepted Answer
Mark Goldsmith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 2 April 2023 18:46 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Rajkumar,

In addition to Bruce's suggestion I would also check that the INI file you think is being used is actually the one being used and then confirm that the file, or folder the file is in, is not set to read-only. If you can't even get into the IDE you can't check which INI is currently being used that way.

However, if you go into the Registry look for the following key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Sybase\PowerBuilder\yourversion. Then look for the value name InitPath and check the value and validate that it's the location you want to use and that it actually (still) exists and is not read-only.

It should be noted that this error message will still display if the path doesn't exist (which I guess indirectly it's still true that the pb.ini is not writable, it's just a little misleading) so it's good to check that the file path identified in this value actually exists let alone being writable. If the path exists but the INI doesn't, PB will simply create a new pb.ini in the folder path identified.

HTH...regards,

Mark

Comment
  1. Rajkumar K S
  2. Monday, 3 April 2023 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Mark and Team,

Thank you all for giving the hint for resolving this issue.

I have verified your queries and found that after crashing the PB IDE "InitFDCC.ini" file is missing in the below path.

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Appeon\PowerBuilder 22.0.

I have copied the above file from another user account, and it's not showing the error message.

Thank you

Rajkumar K S.

C-Square Solutions
  1. Helpful 1
  1. Mark Goldsmith
  2. Monday, 3 April 2023 23:42 PM UTC
Glad to hear that assisted you with finding a solution and thanks for the update Rajkumar!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Bruce Armstrong Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 2 April 2023 03:52 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1
Comment
  1. Rajkumar K S
  2. Sunday, 2 April 2023 06:05 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

I have verified your queries, the pb.ini is available to the below locations and both pb.ini is not in read-only format. So the issue still exists. Please provide alternative solution for this.

C:\Users\Rajkumar\AppData\Local\Appeon\PowerBuilder 22.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\PowerBuilder 22.0

Thanks

Rajkumar
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 2 April 2023 19:17 PM UTC
Hi Rajkumar;

1) did you install PB 2022 IDE under a "local admin" account?

2) are you starting the IDE under a "local admin" account?

FWIW: this is how I install & run my PB 2022 IDE on my W10 & W11 based machines.

Regards... Chris
  1. Helpful 1
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.