If we want to create true web application versions of our client/server PB applications, and maintain both versions, what do users recommend as the best technological options?
Obviously it's not PowerServer, because it's not really a web application, and runs only on Windows. We want something you can run from any O/S.
Ideally it would be able to share some code with our installed client/server applications, to avoid a complete re-write.
I'm aware of TopwizWeb but haven't heard any user feedback on its use for significant-sized applications.
I know that the web DW is discontinued so that doesn't seem to be an option.
I also know there are 3rd-party converters (such as mobilize.net) from PB apps to web technologies, but obviously then you end up with something completely disconnected from your original PB code and you have to maintain two entirely separate code lines, if you want to maintain both versions.
Just building something with modern web technologies from scratch, i.e. a complete re-write of the functionality, seems prohibitively difficult and error-prone.
What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Understanding that you do offer TopwizWeb, do you have any thoughts on your experience with B4A? Would you recommend it and if not, why not?
Thanks again Roland!
I didn't try B4I (B4X community and Erel claims that it's easy).
IMO, Pros of B4A
1. B4A is easy. If one knows VB, it's lot easier to understand and code it.
2. I like the designer concept very much. One can live preview the design, in the connected mobile.
3. Vibrant community and developer.
1. It's not a community developed product. And no enterprise backing too (IMO).
2. It's different in the way documentation/help files are organized.
3. Need to search for Libraries in the forum. One must get used to it.
We still learn it, though released one small mobile apps where around 35 users are using it since Apr'2022.
A simple and awesome product IMO.