1. Tom Peters
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 6 August 2020 20:27 PM UTC

Good Day -

We are currently testing our newly migrated (PB2019 R2) application on Windows Server 2019. We noticed a lot of fonts/symbols we have used for many years simply do not exist on WS2019. Based on MS documentation, we cannot simply distribute the wingdng2.tff and wingdng3.tff files with our application.

Do we need to change the font/symbols we are using or is there some other option? I think I know the answer and I am scared. tongue-out Has anyone else run into this? We've used Wingdings 3 forever. I will change the symbols if need be, but I thought I'd check with the community in case I am way off... as usual.

Thanks,

Tom

John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 6 August 2020 21:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Here's a Windows blog post explaining the change in font management that was made to Windows 10 1803:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/06/27/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17704/

Look for the section titled: "Font installation for non-admin users" about 1/3 of the way into the post. It looks like someone with Admin rights can still install a font for all users as before. I've also seen posts stating that WS2019 Core installs with the barest minimum of fonts.

Hopefully, someone from Appeon will lend some insight on this issue.

Comment
  1. mike S
  2. Thursday, 6 August 2020 21:56 PM UTC
i believe the thought in windows development is that the application should load fonts as needed, then unload them.

there is a windows api do this.

and if you use powerserver, that is really the only way to get a custom font loaded
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Thursday, 6 August 2020 22:03 PM UTC
function long AddFontResourceExW( readonly string as_FontFile, ulong aul_FontCharacteristics, ulong aul_Reserved ) library "GDI32.dll" alias for "AddFontResourceExW"

function boolean RemoveFontResourceExW( readonly string as_FonfFile, ulong aul_FontCharacteristics, ulong aul_Reserved ) library "GDI32.dll" alias for "RemoveFontResourceExW"
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 6 August 2020 21:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi, Tom -

I'm not a WS2019 guru, but fonts in Windows Server 2019 appear to now be installed/managed on a per user basis instead of for all users as was done in the past, from the scant info and posts I've been able to find. Perhaps this is the cause of the issue you are experiencing?

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.