1. Daniel Vivier
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 26 July 2017 21:05 PM UTC

Of course it won't if I use some new syntax that's only in PB 2017, like the NativePDF! enumerated value, but as long as I don't to that, is there any reason there should be a problem with this?

I want to maintain my app in both versions for a while, including any fixes and improvements I make to it, and don't want to have to always do the changes in 12.5 first and keep re-migrating the PBLs into 2017.

In fact, I use source code control (WizSource) and what I'd really like to do is create an additional WizSource user for myself, and use that user for my PB 2017 work, and my existing user for my PB 12.5 work, so I can check out and check in in either one, on the same computer, and have it work just like if my colleague on another computer, with his WizSource user, was doing checkouts and checkins.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Accepted Answer
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 27 July 2017 00:56 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

If you modify a DataWindow object in 2017 then the release number on the first line will change to 17. Also the following line near the bottom changes as well:

export.pdf(method=0 distill.custompostscript="0" xslfop.print="0" nativepdf.customsize=0 nativepdf.customorientation=0 )

There may be other differences but those were ones that were easy to find.

Comment
  1. Daniel Vivier
  2. Thursday, 27 July 2017 02:30 AM UTC
OK, thanks Roland, so DWs definitely can't be imported back, and would thus always have to be changed only in PB 12.5 and then GLV'd in PB 2017. Is there any reason I should worry about / test any other type of object, in this regard?

1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 27 July 2017 13:09 PM UTC
The Rich Text control was changed in 2017, it is based on a different 3rd party control. I'm not sure how compatible the two are. You would also have to avoid 64-bit deployment and any other new features from 12.6 as well.

I would recommend making your changes in 12.5 and using source control to sync the 2017 version of the app. Then once you are confident that your app runs well in 2017 you can make the switch permanently.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 27 July 2017 05:47 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

other than datawindows, i think you should be able to easily back migrate objects.   i've done it between other versions (not 2017) in the past fairly regularly.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwee
  2. Thursday, 7 September 2017 01:44 AM UTC
I agree with you and even for datawindows you could write a search and replace to set back the version.

I also agree with Roland, myself I've decided it's preferable and easier to now and then migrate to pb2017 from our 12.6, while keeping the development in 12.6 for some months. I feel there are still too many bugs for our next release in December this year, though Appeon is doing a good job on the fixes, it too little time for us.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.