1. Jon Stoller
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 14 November 2018 20:51 PM UTC

Will an application that was developed and compiled (built) in PowerBuilder 7 run on a Windows 2016 server? 
Will it run on Windows Server 2012R2? 

EXPLANATION:
I have a client running an application that was developed and compiled with PowerBuilder 7. 
Their server is having problems and they have to move the application to a new server. 
I need to know if the application will run on their new server. 
They prefer moving to Windows Server 2016.  Will their application run on a Windows 2016 server? 
If not, will it run on a Windows 2012R2 Server? 

NOTE: 
I am going to migrate the application to PowerBuilder 2017 but I cannot do it right away. 
I need about 3-6 months before I will be able to migrate them.

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 November 2018 21:49 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Why is the application running on a server and not on a client PC? Also, what database does it use?

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 November 2018 21:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

There is no way to know unless you carefully test out your specific application.  Just because somebody reports they did not have problems doesn't mean you won't have any issue (since your code won't be exactly the same).  Keep in mind on rare occasions Windows Updates do cause problems for PowerBuilder apps (based on what I have observed), so even if this works it should be a temporary solution only.

The right thing to do is upgrade to PB 2017 R3, which is our long-term support version and compatible with the OS versions you mentioned.  Considering you might be able to do this in as short as 3 months, it might make more sense to go straight to that rather then waste time on testing PB 7 and exposing yourself to risk (of using a version not eligible for any tech support).

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 November 2018 21:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Jon;

PB 7 is very old was never certified for MS-Windows Server 2012 or 2016. These O/S releases were only officially supported  in much newer versions of PB. Since you cannot migrate to Appeon PB yet, your only recourse would be to try your PB 7 based App(s) on W2012 or W2016 and see. My guess is maybe W2012 will work and if need be, use Windows "compatibility" mode as an alternative if issues arise.

Best of luck!

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.