1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 17 May 2018 21:04 PM UTC

Hello Appeon Community,

We are moving to PB2017 with git as source control. We used to use SVN earlier to manage code where we were not adding the library files (.PBLs) to source control. Any new developers used to download PBLS from one server and then used to create workspace and connect the code with SVN. He used to work in objects and check in the code. PUSHOK was playing the role to connect between Power Builder and SVN. Now since we are moving to git, I see that  whenever you change the objects and try to commit, it put checkbox the PBL too. In Git, it create separate folder for pbls under ws_objects folder.

I have some questions here.

1 - Is it required to add PBLs to git, if we don't do that we see difference between local repository(Master Branch) and git repository (Master branch). What is the best approach? Please explain in detail.
2 - If we add libraries to git, How will be resolve the conflict for libraries as these are binary files. I have seen some situation where PBLs have code conflict and we are unable to resolve it using git due to binary files.

FYI - We are planning to use Source Tree to manage the repository where PB applications will only connect to individual Fork repository. Changes from Fork repository to Main repository we are planning to use Source Tree. If someone has any tutorial video or document which gives idea how to work with Source Tree, Git and PB2017, then this will be really helpful.

I am looking forward to have video from Appeon to demonstrate this, specially from Bruce :)

Thanks,

Vipin

Accepted Answer
Tom Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 22 May 2018 05:08 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Vipin,

Yes, you will have to upload the PBLs for the first time or when a new PBL is created (using Upload PBL menu from the context menu on the System Tree). This is so that when another developer connects to the repository, they can get all the PBLs to recreate the project. 

The PBLs will not be synced after the first time by default. They will by dynamically re-created from the source files, so the conflict of the binary files can be avoided. There is on-going development effort on improving Native Git/SVN and they will be available in 2017 R3 and 2018. Please provide your valuable suggestions after you use it. Thanks!

Regards,

Tom Jiang 

Comment
  1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. Wednesday, 23 May 2018 19:43 PM UTC
Thanks Tom for your answer and suggestion.

1. Helpful
  1. Vipin Dwivedi
  2. Friday, 25 May 2018 15:50 PM UTC
Our approach is to put the PBL in the folder and we added the .pbl files in git ignore file (.gitignore) so that we don't get pbl list during Git Commit. One more thing I noticed that each time I hit the refresh, it import, regenerate the same pb objects. My understanding is Refresh get the changed PB objects and align with PBL files. Does my understanding wrong?

Thanks,

Vipin

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.

There are replies in this question but you are not allowed to view the replies from this question.