1. Thomas Leach
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 14 February 2020 16:09 PM UTC

Greetings,

We are a couple of weeks into our 30 day free trial of PowerBuilder 2019.

We are planning to upgrade our current PowerBuilder 12.6 version.

Our current Environment:
PowerBuilder Version:12.6 SP00 PL11 build 4121
OS Version: Windows 2012 R2
Sybase Client Version: 16
Sybase ASE: Adaptive Server Enterprise/16.0 SP02 PL04 HF1/EBF 26466 SMP/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.10/ase160sp02pl04x/2602/64-bit/FBO/Tue Aug 23 01:45:02 2016
Citrix Version: 7.15

We have heard that PowerBuilder 2019 does not work with Citrix. Is that correct? We have also heard that PowerBuilder 2017 does work with Citrix. Is that correct?

Based on our above, current configuration, do you recommend that we upgrade to PowerBuilder 2019 or to PowerBuilder 2017?

Thank You,

Tom

David Peace (Powersoft) Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 18 February 2020 14:20 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

We have migrated to PB2017R3 a this is the long term support version, although if there are features that you need in PB2019 then it's certainly worth considering the R2 version when it is out.

The risks are about the same and the QA testing challenges will be the same regardless, so it's really a case of what you are happy with.

All the best

David

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 14 February 2020 17:04 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Thomas,

Mike has raised some important questions and has given some great advice.

Adding to what Mike said, PowerBuilder 2019 R2 will be out very soon and is currently in beta. While 2019 R3 is the 2019 revision scheduled to be a long-term support version, but if any of these features look important to you it may be worth considering to upgrade to 2019 R2 instead of falling back to 2017 R3 LTS.

As far as Citrix is concerned, a lot of Appeon customers run on Citrix. Citrix of course has its own limitations and bugs just like any software, but overall we do not see showstopper issues from our customers running applications compiled with PowerBuilder 2017 or 2019 on Citrix. If you do discover an issue with your app on Citrix and it is caused by a bug in PowerBuilder 2017 or 2019, you may open a support ticket.

As Mike pointed out, Appeon does not claim running the PowerBuilder IDE itself on Citrix is supported.  But lots of people don't bother to read documentation and do whatever they like. LOL. Anyway, the point is we have not seen major issues running the PowerBuilder IDE on Citrix even though Appeon doesn't officially claim this combination is supported.

Best regards,

Armeen Mazda
CEO, Appeon  

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 14 February 2020 17:50 PM UTC
OK great, then this is supported combination. So please consider whether it is best you upgrade to PB 2017 R3 LTS or PB 2019 R2. Once you are on a supported version, if there are problems that you suspect is caused by PB product bugs, please open a support ticket.
  1. Helpful
  1. Thomas Leach
  2. Thursday, 20 February 2020 15:26 PM UTC
Hi Armeen,

We are having a conference call from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm today to discuss current issues we are having in our environment. We know you don't support PB 12.6 but any feedback you could provide during the meeting would be helpful. We are buying PB 2019 licenses for our PowerBuilder upgrade and your assistance on this call could help with the go, no-go decision.

Can you respond to me at my email address which is: tleach@concentra.com

I will forward you the meeting link if you are available.

Thank You,

Tom Leach

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 20 February 2020 15:46 PM UTC
Hi Tom, I have emailed you. We will be there.
  1. Helpful
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 14 February 2020 16:17 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

>> does not work with Citrix

do you mean your application or do you mean the PB IDE?

the version that makes sense for you to upgrade to is extremely subjective.  It sounds like you are a shop that only updates every several years since you are still on 12?   So, do you need/want to be on a version that is on LTS?  How often do you put out a new build of your application?  Is your application only for in-house use?  Do you need to integrate with c#?

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Friday, 14 February 2020 18:36 PM UTC
We are continuing to develop in 12.5 but our automated builds are generating a 2019 executable so that QA can test it. Once the 2019 version goes out to customers, we will switch to 2019 for development.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 18 February 2020 18:28 PM UTC
Hmmm ... Seems like putting the "Cart before the Horse" to me.
  1. Helpful
  1. mike S
  2. Tuesday, 18 February 2020 18:57 PM UTC
i think it makes a lot of sense, this is a great way to minimize risk. if something comes up they always have the ability to go back to a prior version that works. Once migrated you can't move back without it being so much work that it isn't really an option. I do think this is usually an issue for ISV's rather than in-house software.

1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.