1. Greg Duvall
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 22 January 2020 22:20 PM UTC

I have migrated an app from 12.5.1 to 2019 and have a problem running it. The 12.5 version runs fine but the 2019 version just disappears. The application requires parameters which get passed via the shortcut which have not changed. When I double click the 12.5. exe I get a message saying the parameters are missing (as expected). When I do the same thing for the 2019 exe I get a popup requesting an administrators ID and password. I have tried a number of options for the manifest file on the project builder (None - which is how it is set for 12.5, embedded\as invoker) but still get the same message. What has changed in 2019 that causes this? How do I work around it? Thanks.

Accepted Answer
Greg Duvall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 23 January 2020 16:17 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Thanks Michael and Chris for your feedback. Michael, you response led to the solution. I found the when I signed on to the PC as the local administrator, the application had been set to "Run as Administrator" for all users. I unchecked that and the app now runs. Thanks again.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 23 January 2020 17:45 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing the solution!
  1. Helpful
  1. Olan Knight
  2. Thursday, 23 January 2020 23:06 PM UTC
This is literally the first time I've heard of a PowerBuilder app NOT running becuase it was s et to run as ADMIN!

Olan
  1. Helpful
  1. Greg Duvall
  2. Friday, 24 January 2020 14:50 PM UTC
It was causing the program to need to run with elevated privileges and my ID did not have it causing the UAC to pop up a box that required an admin ID and password to be entered.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 23 January 2020 01:29 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Greg;

Nothing has changed in PB2019 GA or the latest MR that handles passed parameters via the O/S command line. 

You can see this working properly in my W10 notification utility. I would look for another cause of your issue. Just my $0.02

FYI: Notification Utility

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 22 January 2020 23:16 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

That behavior suggests Windows believes your app must run using elevated privileges. Otherwise no reason for Windows to throw up UAC elevation request.

Once the app is marked "Requires elevation" in Win O/S there is nothing the app can do to avoid - because that would be the action any attacker would look for: Avoid elevation.

Can you check your app's privilege settings?
I know Win security with AD and groups can be tedious to investigate but that is  where I would look for culprit.

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.