1. Christopher Craft
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 3 January 2024 19:30 PM UTC

We have been using the Topaz signature capture for years.  We have recently updated our application from PB 2019 R3 to PB 2022 1900 and now it has stopped working.  It seems it cannot locate the COM port anymore. There is not much too this control so I am a little confused to what might have happened or how to debug.  I tried running Process Monitor to see if there is anything odd but it all looks correct to me.

I have contacted Topaz but they do not have PB 2022 so they cannot test.  I will have them download a demo version so they can try and debug it but I am wondering if anyone might know what could be happening.  Could there be an issue with the Visual Studio version PB uses now? Is there a list on unsupported OCX things I need to be aware of?  I even took the sample PB application which was done in PB 9 and converted it to PB 2022 and the same error happens.

Thanks for your input,

Chris Craft

Accepted Answer
Christopher Craft Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 8 January 2024 15:45 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Well I found the problem - /TSAWARE:NO was not being set in these latest builds for the EXE. Ugh...

Chris Craft

Comment
  1. John Fauss
  2. Monday, 8 January 2024 18:33 PM UTC
  1. Helpful
  1. Christopher Craft
  2. Monday, 8 January 2024 18:50 PM UTC
And I created another Bug with Appeon as well - this needs to be added to PBAutoBuild.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 8 January 2024 19:37 PM UTC
I agree ... But, I would suggest that it be added to "ALL" compile scenarios - not just PBAutoBuild! ;-)
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 3 January 2024 20:38 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I went on their website. I'm guessing you are using 'SigPlus Pro ActiveX'?

Maybe you could try the .Net assembly version.

Comment
  1. Christopher Craft
  2. Wednesday, 3 January 2024 21:04 PM UTC
We had talked about doing that but wanted to know the problem first before re-engineering it. I am thinking we will have to go down that path.
  1. Helpful
  1. Christopher Craft
  2. Thursday, 4 January 2024 23:43 PM UTC
Starting to look at it but the .Net Assembly dll has visual controls and PB does not support that right?
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 5 January 2024 00:20 AM UTC
Correct Chris ... Non - visual only.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 3 January 2024 19:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

My wild possibly totally wrong guess is there may be a DLL incompatibility.  Specifically, Topaz might be using very outdated version of Visual Studio to write their DLL.  In PB 2022, we upgraded to latest version of Visual Studio to write/compile PowerBuilder's runtime DLLs.

Comment
  1. Christopher Craft
  2. Wednesday, 3 January 2024 21:08 PM UTC
That was my assumption as well but why would a different version of Visual Studio that was used to create PB cause that? My understanding (limited) is that the Dll has everything it needs to function but obviously PB is now not able to use it.
  1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 3 January 2024 21:41 PM UTC
I'm not sure, and this might not even be the reason why it is failing. You might want to open a support ticket and provide a test case, but not sure how much our team can help without the source code of the Topaz software.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.