1. Richard Carrier
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 30 November 2018 18:41 PM UTC

My applications needs to take advantage of the SQL server 2016 features like bulk copy, etc.

Microsoft undepreciated the OLEDB driver and suspended SNC.

Yes I agree that the SNC 11 connects fine with 2014 and 2016 (not sure about 2017)

We are using Appeon for several commercial applications and I'm confused why we can't get an updated OLEDB driver that works with Microsoft's latest version 18.1 which is the new undepreciated version that actually takes advantage of the new SQL servers.

I keep seeing great new feature after feature advertised in Appeon with nothing being mentioned that eventually the SNC11 just wont be supported and just will stop working. 

I've been trying to use the new driver MSOLEDBSQL but I don't think it will ever work with R3

I appreciate anyone's comments or feedback. Converting to ODBC is not ever going to be an option. 

Thanks!

Richard

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 2 December 2018 01:00 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

I was able to connect PowerBuilder 10.5 to SQL Server 2017 Express using the new OLE DB driver. I didn't do a large amount of testing.

Comment
  1. Richard Carrier
  2. Sunday, 2 December 2018 20:07 PM UTC
Hi Roland,

The new driver requires MSOLEDBSQL as the connection string. Is this what you used because I'm not able to connect because there is no supported appeon driver just yet. We are only using Appeon R3

Thanks

Richard
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 30 November 2018 20:10 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Richard;

You are 100% correct ... https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlnativeclient/2017/10/06/announcing-the-new-release-of-ole-db-driver-for-sql-server

That being said, I will need to check with engineering on whether they have updated OLE-DB in PB2018 for MS-SQLServer 2016, 2017 and the new 2019 version (coming soon) that this reconstituted MS-driver supports.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 3 December 2018 14:55 PM UTC
Hi Richard;

Engineering has now confirmed with me that the OLE-DB driver in the new PB2018 will be the same as PB2017. That is the driver is still the older 32bit driver that we saw in PB 12.x.

The current plan is to add support for the new Microsoft OLE-DB driver support in either the PB2018 R2 or R3 time frame. Engineering is still revising their detailed plan for these two releases. Stay tuned to the PB2018 roadmap for further details as the OLD-DB feature becomes known & scheduled.

FYI: https://www.appeon.com/developers/roadmap

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.