1. Arcady Abramov
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Sunday, 13 October 2019 18:47 PM UTC

Hello, all

After the topic on azure dev ops (https://community.appeon.com/index.php/qna/q-a/check-out-locks-on-azure-dev-ops) our company is re evaluating using it for PB source control.

Please, present your experiences with different source control systems.

We have between 4 to 7 developers working simultaneously on different targets. Sometimes 2 or more work on the same target. There is no real remote development work planned (when developers work from home, thy connect to heir machines via RDP)

Size of code for all our projects in total is about 0.5T .

We are open to setting up SC system on premise as well. 

Please, present your recommendations both regarding performance and costs.

Thank you

Arcady Abramov

Silverbyte Systems

Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 14 October 2019 00:00 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Since it uses a database for the repository, it is a client/server app that runs in a background thread of the IDE.

Like any other client/server app, performance depends on whether the database server is robust enough for the number of users and the speed of the network between the client and the server.

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 13 October 2019 20:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

0.5 TB?

Windows O/S is world's largest known git repo at approx. 300 GB. Microsoft had to invent git virtual file system to get that size to work. Before that invention a clone took up to 12 hours. And a git status = PB [refresh SCC status] took so many minutes developers fell asleep ("fall asleep": figurative speak, not publicly reported!)

I would expect any source control system would stretch to limits if you put all in one repo. But who knows? 10 years ago I worked in 5-7 dev team with Visual Source Safe repo hitting 12GB (recommended max in VSS 2005 was 2GB). It still worked fine for what we needed.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 14 October 2019 06:31 AM UTC
Thanks for that link Michael
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Monday, 14 October 2019 06:34 AM UTC
Also, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/learn/devops-at-microsoft/

Many videos on that page and the sub pages it links to. Like a collection of Microsoft experience from 7 years of agile. The good and the bad. Where they failed, what they learned, where the see it going.

Enjoy!
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 14 October 2019 06:38 AM UTC
Anyway, seeing some introductions on DO, it just looks like the VSTS integrated with Git and Agile. I absolutely hated the VSTS configuration website.

So my (personal) advice to Arcady, with a 7 developers team, remains to stay away from DevOps if allowed. For agile there's free online tools and PB isn't going to integrate with DO, unless you'd use Git, which is a pain on itself.
  1. Helpful
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Sunday, 13 October 2019 19:35 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi, 7 developers?

Azure Devops? I'm not sure what needs you could have to "integrate" somehow with dev ops. (Maybe in that case things will be easier if you use a MS SQLServer database ?)

I have no idea about DEV OPS, but the maker of the program WizSource "Roland Smith", is here on the forum and can be contacted here or through his website on topwizprogramming.

Maybe I'm being naive and the only way to integrate with "Azure DevOps" is by using TFS / Git. Nevertheless this is my advice: 

1) Just try this one, go to http://topwizprogramming.com/wizsource.htmlDownload it and install with your favourite database. You can use it with Firebird which can handle up to 64 TB databases (and SAP SQL Anywhere, SAP ASE, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SQL Server Express, Microsoft SQL Azure cloud database, MySQL, Oracle, and Oracle Express). You simply have to create a database and run some sql scripts to create the tables, etc. I'm using Firebird on a local Server, but think you can install it on anything like a Google Cloud, AWS, etc. if that's what you would want. (just be sure and ask the maker of the program).

2) It's free for one developer, so that should allow you to upload your 0.5 TB source code and start experimenting with it.

I really like it's simplicity, cost very little time to install, it's fast and works great, but .... until now I've only been evaluating it. Other people confirm what I've experienced so far though.

The only thing you won't be able to test is concurrency with more than one user, but maybe other people can assure you that it works well with multiple users being connected.

This is my personal best and only advice I can give, I love simplicity and like tools to improve my work and not delay me or make things more complicated than they should be or already are. I absolutely do not see and understand the hype with Git for smaller development teams.

"No, I'm not being paid by Roland"

regards.

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 14 October 2019 05:58 AM UTC
Can't you use DEvOps without hard-linking your source code to it?

If you really want to integrate "that" with any source control not incorporated by MS, it's not going to be easy.

Personally I would keep my source very well separated from that kind of MS stuff, just because I don't trust MS to be bug-free enough. (maybe no one cares :)

For example the old TFS was easy to configure. Now you have to go online and find your way in their 'new-look' menus and it takes forever to simply find a certain settings. As long as the user interface looks 'metro' enough, MS doesn't care if your program is easy to use. I wish you all the best with DO.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.