1. Chris Low
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 26 April 2019 10:10 AM UTC

this is after the april set of windows updates that I've just noticed a whole bunch of slowness coming from the the ide.

a simple cut and paste of text will take 10 seconds. the screen seems to be refreshing/drawing really slowly for some reason.

i've seen an earlier post about slowness in the ide and I've already tried eg: removing sophos antivirus. disabling windows defender, adding exclusions to windows defender, removing .net framework etc.

I'm going to try to reinstall the ide . i'm just wondering if anyone else has encounter this issue.

latest windows 10 1803 build 17134.153

also .net 4.80 

Chris Low Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 8 May 2019 08:21 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

hi all. seems like if the hyper V role is on, its very slow. i just uninstalled the hyper v role on my windows 10 computer and the speed is dramatically improved (ie: almost feels normal)

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 8 May 2019 16:31 PM UTC
Hi Chris;

I have "Hyper V" turned on on my development & test PC's but with *no* speed degradation issues with PowerServer or PowerBuilder. However, I am using superior AMD processors ... LOL! OK, just joking but ... you may need a BIOS update. ;-)

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  1. Monday, 6 May 2019 10:15 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I'm also wondering if its windows 10 exploit protection. i've added in the pb ide executable as a an exception to all exploit protection settings. seems a little faster.

Comment
  1. Tuesday, 30 April 2019 02:29 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

I suspect it may be related

i removed the manually installed intel graphics driver and installed the ones from microsoft update and it seems better (ie: intolerably slow but not incapacitatively slow ) . 

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Tuesday, 30 April 2019 02:59 AM UTC
If you have a DataWIndow object with a bunch of function objects called by expressions and these functions are making in-line SQL calls, that can be very slow and is not recommended.
  1. Helpful
  1. Monday, 29 April 2019 02:55 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

actually it looks more to be like slow screen redraw or background redraw that is happening.

for eg: this window has 97 objects (command buttons, single line edits, datawindows).

doing a control+A to select all objects see a very slow selection.

opening this window also shows slow redraw as each command button is displayed.

I also notice the slowest ones to render/draw on screen (it doesn't follow tab order) is those with powerscript statements that access the database (eg: update table , alter table)

i tried the powerbuilder 2019 build 2002 and its also the same behaviour

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 29 April 2019 17:37 PM UTC
Hi Chris;

I have only encountered something like this twice in my 30+ years of PB. One cause was traced down to the video card and the second to the video driver. Replacing the video card / driver did the trick.

Food for thought

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 April 2019 18:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

I'm thinking it has something to do with how you have Git set up. You would think it would be fast since the IDE is connected to a local repository. Perhaps the location of the repository isn't ideal.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 April 2019 16:27 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Hi Chris;

FWIW: PB 2017R3 MR01 (build 1880) IDE super fast on my W10 PC's. However, I am using a newer release of MS-Windows ...   Windows 10 Version 1809  build 177763  (with Windows Defender).

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Friday, 26 April 2019 15:45 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

yes. i had git as source control. database is sql server 2016 

I've reinstalled powerbuilder. git is not setup yet. there is no slowness at the moment.

I take it you suspect git is the issue. I will not setup the source control yet then

Comment
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 April 2019 12:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8

What do you have for source control or database connections while this is happening?

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.