1. Jenifer Brimmer
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 20 June 2024 13:10 PM UTC

We recently migrated several applications from Version 2017R2 to Version 2022R3.  We send emails with one or more attachments both internally and externally.  We did not experience any issues sending emails from the applications built using Version 2017R2.

Here are the details of our environment:

- Windows 10, 64-bit machines for development, user machines are a mixture of 64-bit and 32-bit, so the applications are built as a 32-bit

- Office 365

- Using MAPI to send emails so that a copy of the email is saved in the user's Sent folder (for financial tracking purposes)

- Using the free version of ClickYes to send emails since some applications send multiple emails in quick succession

Once we migrated to 2022R3, the users have been experiencing multiple issues when attempting to send emails.  In one scenario, the application sends a single email and a copy is retained in the user's Sent folder, but subsequent emails are not in the Sent folder.  In another scenario, the application sends an email and a copy is retained in the Sent folder, but then the application terminates.

Has anyone seen anything like this and if so, what did you do to remedy the situation?  If there are any details you believe I have left out, please feel free to ask.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or assistance you may be able to provide!

Jenifer

Jenifer Brimmer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 20 June 2024 19:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thank you, Chris!  That may very well be our issue as we have the logon/logoff in a function which is called multiple times.  As soon as we have a chance to change one of the applications and test it, I will report back.

Thank you, again!

Jenifer

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 20 June 2024 18:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Jenifer;

FWIW: I have spoken to many customers who have recently adopted O365 in the past few years. Here is what caused them such grief ...  With O365, I have noted one key aspect ... you should *never* perform repeated MailLogon(...) ... .MailLogoff() commands in your PB Apps. O365 does *not* like this !!!  Most customers with your type of issues even back in PB 2019 , 2021 and now 2022 stabilized O365 interactions by ...

1. Perform the MailLogon command only once at the beginning of your PB App start-up
  2. Do not perform the MailLogoff command until your entire PB App is closing (shutting down).

HTH

Regards .. Chris

Comment
Jenifer Brimmer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 20 June 2024 15:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Armeen,

We chose to use MAPI because it saves a copy of emails in the user's Sent folder in Outlook.  We need this for financial tracking purposes since the emails being sent are invoices to customers.  It was my understanding that SMTP does not save a copy of the email in the Sent folder.  frown

Jenifer

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 21 June 2024 17:22 PM UTC
You would still use MAPI configuration in Outlook. Outlook will synchronize with status of your email server. In PB you just directly communicate with the email server using SMTP protocol instead of going through Outlook as middle man.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 20 June 2024 15:33 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Jenifer, I haven't heard of this, but third-party integrations can be finicky.  Since you are upgrade to the latest and greatest, how about trying out the SMTPClient instead that removes this dependence on external environment?  https://docs.appeon.com/pb2022r3/objects_and_controls/SMTPClient_object.html

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.