1. Kelvin Doan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 8 July 2022 13:22 PM UTC

I did  upgrade my application from PB2019 to PB2019R3 on my VM. It worked fine. Then I recompiled it and move to another server for users use. I got the error message : "Runtime path not exist, path C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2728!". The users share shortcut on network drive and network drive does not have the directory \Program Files\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\. Any ideas to fix it. Do I need to copy directory to network drive ? Thank in advance. 

Kelvin Doan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 8 July 2022 14:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thank you Roland and Chris for clear explanation. It works now. 

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 8 July 2022 14:36 PM UTC
That is "Awesome" news Kelvin ... Thanks for the feedback!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 8 July 2022 13:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

There were some major changes from 2019 to 2019-R3.

The runtime files no longer have the major version number in the name. PBVM190.DLL is now PBVM.DLL.

When you compile, an XML file is created which contains the location of the runtime. You should copy this file to the same folder as the EXE/PBD files and edit it so that the path points to the actual runtime folder on that machine.

The XML file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Application>
    <RuntimePath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Common\PowerBuilder\Runtime 19.2.0.2728</RuntimePath>
</Application>

The runtime is no longer in C:\Program Files (x86)\Appeon\Shared\PowerBuilder, it is in the RuntimePath folder above. That folder will have to be copied to the deployment machine and the XML file will have to have the location from the users point of view.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 8 July 2022 13:58 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Kelvin;

Yes, in PB2019 R3, Appeon decoupled the runtime from the PB IDE. In addition, we now create an <AppName>.XML file that points the App EXE as to where to look for the PB runtime DLLs. If you deploy the PB App to another machine, then you must also reconstruct where the PB runtime is located on that new deployment machine in order to match the value set in the XML file.

If you are deploying the PB App to an MS-Windows "Server" where all App users run the EXE from, you might want to consider installing the PB runtime on the same server as well as long as it matches the value set in the XML file (which of course, you can manually edit).

If the PB App EXE is being remotely accessed from MS-Window workstations across the network, then change the XML file to point to a shared drive that then locates the PB runtime DLL's for the App EXE being started on the server from a remote workstation.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.