1. Josh Chalmers
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 1 April 2021 15:25 PM UTC

I've just tried building (aka Deploying) an application project in PowerBuilder 2019 R3.  I haven't built using PowerBuilder in a very long time, we have always used PowerGen, but with all the activity and command line capability, I thought I'd give it a try.

I built one application that also included a lot of PBLs that were built as PBDs and all seemed fine.

I built a second application that used the PBDs from the first build in it's library list.  It builds and I appear to have a fully runnable EXE that I tested, however when that Build/Deploy completes the PowerBuilder IDE just disappears.  

Any idea how I can find out why the IDE might be crashing, or what it might be trying to do when it crashes?  Additional logging on I can turn on?

Thanks

Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 2 April 2021 10:01 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Josh

We noticed that this issue is marked as Resolved, is the issue resolved?

If yes, can you share with us how you resolve it?

If not, we tried multiple times on our side but still can’t reproduce it. This might relate to many aspects.

Firstly, to locate whether it is related to your machine environment, I suggest you refer to Armeen’s suggestion to verify the issue on a new machine or VM and see if it is reproducible.

Secondly, I suggest you refer to Chris’s suggestion and see if it is helpful.

Thirdly, I suggest you use other applications (demo apps, etc.) to test and see if the issue only happens on your application. If so, then we might need you to provide the PBLs source code for us to analyze because it is hard for us to locate the root cause of the issue if there is no replicable case on our side.

BTW, to better track and handle this issue, please submit a ticket in the Appeon support ticketing system (https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/search). Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ken

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 1 April 2021 20:28 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Josh;

Here is one more thing to try ....

1) open the IDE's Object Browser.

2) Select Window Class

3) RHMB and Select "Show Heirarchy"

4) RHMB and Select "Expand All"

5) Highlight top level ancestor

6) RHMB and the select  "Regenerate"

7) Repeat steps 2 => 6 for the Menu and User Object Classes

8) Perform a FULL Build

9) Now try another Deploy.

Note: A normal Full Build from the Target will only build by sequentially processing each PBL and only by each object sequence that it finds it in the PBL. The above procedure will recompile the objects in their proper Ancestor => Descendant order and thus, will correct the descendant's source code as it walks down the inheritance tree from Top to Bottom. Example:

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 1 April 2021 17:10 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Josh;

When this type of IDE crash happens, the best thing to do is check the MS-Windows Event Log to see if your machine was able to capture a mini-dump. If so, please open a Support Ticket for this issue and attach the event log's information for the IDE crash.

However before that, can you try ...

1) Optimize all your PBL's (RHMB each PBL for that)

2) Perform a Migrate (RHMB the Target Object for that)

3) Perform a Full Build (RHMB the Target Object for that)

Now retry the the Project deployment(s) again (RHMB the Project Object for that)

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 1 April 2021 17:50 PM UTC
That's "awesome" news Josh. I am super glad that this worked for you!

Don't forget to hug a DataWindow today. ;-)
  1. Helpful
  1. Josh Chalmers
  2. Thursday, 1 April 2021 19:13 PM UTC
Actually, I guess it's not quite resolved. Turns out the Deploy works from Right-Click Menu, but crashes after completing the build if I open the project.

It is logging the crash in the Event Log.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 1 April 2021 20:20 PM UTC
Hi Josh .. Please open a support ticket.

Also FYI .. there will be an R3 MR in April. So if you are not in a hurry, you can apply the MR and see if that helps. Although, this type of IDE crash behaviour is typically an App's source code issue.
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 1 April 2021 15:59 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Hi Josh, Can you reproduce this on a different machine so we can rule out whether this is machine-specific issue?

Comment
  1. Josh Chalmers
  2. Thursday, 1 April 2021 19:25 PM UTC
Right now we only have one PC running R3. Trying to make sure we're good before migrating all the developers over to the new version, since there are significant changes, and we can't run R2 and R3 side-by-side. This wasn't quite as simple as a typical "R" release, so we're being a little paranoid.

1. Helpful
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 1 April 2021 19:31 PM UTC
Is it possible that you setup a VM or another separate machine and test to see if you can reproduce the same issue? As I mentioned earlier, this is important troubleshooting step to rule out machine-specific issue, such as corrupt installation.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.