1. Thomas Rolseth
  2. PowerServer
  3. Monday, 21 February 2022 14:27 PM UTC

I've deployed a PB application to PowerServer 2021.  The application uses SQL Server for the backend database and is hosted on a remote AWS web server running IIS.  The deployment process went fine and I can launch the app w/o issue using the CAL.  

The app uses an MDI interface and so windows are opened as sheets -- i.e. OpenSheet(windowname, w_mdi, 0, Original!),  Two of the windows I'm testing have tab controls with 4 tab pages each.  When I open the first window things work fine and I can go from tab to tab and the retrieval for each datawindow on the tab pages works as expected.  However, as soon as I open another sheet from the main menu and then start navigating the various tabs in the two open windows, I am hit with an error that says the transaction has timed out -- see attached.  I believe this error originates from the web api, not the PB code.  Does anyone have any suggestions on 1) what is causing this and 2) how to resolve it?

Thanks, Tom

Attachments (1)
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 21 February 2022 23:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 1

We are just now migrating to PostgreSQL databases and have run into the same TIMEOUT error.

It ended up being the corporate Firewall, which will disconnect any transaction with an IDLE time of 60 minutes. See if your corporate firewall has a similar setting.

Good Luck,

Olan

Comment
  1. Thomas Rolseth
  2. Tuesday, 22 February 2022 15:04 PM UTC
Thanks for the response Olan. The app and web api are running on an AWS web server and a firewall isn't involved here. Also, the transaction error happens within a few minutes as I open different windows and retrieve data.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Francisco Martinez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 22 February 2022 14:50 PM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 2

Hi Tom,

The way this issue presents to you is really odd. Inside the Web APIs, there's the Applications.json file under the AppConfig folder. This file has the attribute Transaction.Timeout, please verify that the value inside that attribute is high enough and if not, increase it to something sensible for your application.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Francisco

Comment
Thomas Rolseth Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 22 February 2022 15:01 PM UTC
  2. PowerServer
  3. # 3

Francisco, 

Attached is the appsettings.json file.  There are multiple timeout settings.  Which would you change and what value should they be?

Thanks, Tom

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Francisco Martinez @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 22 February 2022 15:35 PM UTC
Hi Tom, the setting you should be changing in this case is Applications.emanager-demo.Transaction.Timeout. Please let us know if raising the value it solves the issue. Based on your comment to Olan's answer, it seems that this might be indeed the problem.
  1. Helpful
  1. Logan Liu @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 22 February 2022 16:38 PM UTC
Hi Tom, please review your PB code to verify whether it was getting this timeout error when processing a database transaction? For example, there is an uncommitted database operation that causes a timeout. In this case, you can consider modifying the Timeout setting.

If you are only doing a series of SQL query operations without other data operations (e.g.: INSERT/DELETE/UPDATE/Executing Procedure) after connecting to the database, please report it as a bug via our support ticketing system to ensure it is being properly received by our tech support and tracked at: https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 22 February 2022 16:48 PM UTC
I'd suggest also increasing the 'connectiontimeout' and 'commandtimeout' settings.
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.