1. Peter Allison
  2. PowerServer 2020 or older (Obsolete)
  3. Tuesday, 1 December 2020 22:42 PM UTC

Our company started a major project to convert our client/server application to the web using PowerServer 2020. We confirmed the technology and presented this to our client as a viable, long-term solution.

In light of Appeon's move to PowerServer 2021 and PowerClient, and as we are approximately 90% done, we have decided to see this conversion project through to completion

Can you please confirm that PowerServer 2020 in it's current form will continue to be supported by Appeon until 2023 and beyond. I have to meet with the client within the next week to assure them that our web application effort was not wasted

Thanks in advance,

Peter Allison
ASP Product Manager / Gestionnaire de produit SAP
Business Solutions, ITSD Courts Administration Service / Solutions d’affaires,
DSIT Service administrative des tribunaux judiciaires
peter.allison@cas-satj.gc.ca / Tél : 613-797-9037

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 2 December 2020 16:39 PM UTC
  3. # 1

Hi Peter;

I see that you have the "official" answer from Armeen already. However, I have been recently working with a few PS  customers for their Web strategy going forward from PS2020 and here are my recommendations ...

1. Deploy new PS2020 Web Apps only using the PS Web's IWA (installable Web Application) feature. This not only removes the current Web Browser plugin challenges but will already make your App(s) Cloud like GUI wise in appearance (of course not as good as a native PB app - but, this will be addressed in Step #2).
  2. When PS 2021 comes along, deploy your current PS apps (with minimal changes) from this new PS2021 release. The business users will basically see the same App look & feel. So their 1st transition to the Cloud (stage 1) should be transparent. However, since this supports more native PB App features, some GUI improvements will now be apparent (ie Menu look & feel) with no extra coding required.
  3. Once your Apps have been basically "Cloudified", start improving them by - for example - adding "Themes" and newer PB2019 R3+ GUI features. Get the business users "on board" for more improvements by showing a quick ROI on minimal development efforts. Not to mention (based on now positive user feedback) support input into your IT management's budgeting exercises for coming years.    ;-) 
  4. Analyze your how your current App(s) business logic is organized and then move towards centralizing it into RESTFul Web Services within PS2021. Continue to improve the App(s) using PB2021 (and beyond) features.

HTH ... the new world App transition as I see it (just my $0.02)

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 2 December 2020 18:44 PM UTC
Awesome! :-)
  1. Helpful
  1. Business Solutions
  2. Thursday, 3 December 2020 17:46 PM UTC
Chris,

In regards to IWA, are we able to have our network services group deploy the Appeon IWA Runner application to application users rather than have them download via the browser? Our security group have severely limited what we can access and download over the network

Thanks
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 3 December 2020 17:59 PM UTC
Yes, IWA also comes with an install file as well.

So that's another great reason to use IWA. Your operations team can pre-install the IWA runtime ahead of the actual IWA App rollouts. The background installation can be done using the appropriate O/S privileged account.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 1 December 2020 23:58 PM UTC
  3. # 2

i believe it is at least 5 years support.

If your application is not using the mobile features, you will probably want to move to PS 2021 at some point as it should work even better than PS 2020.   If you do move to PS 2021, your effort will not have been wasted.

Comment
  1. Peter Allison
  2. Wednesday, 2 December 2020 00:05 AM UTC
Thank you so much for the quick reply. It is much appreciated
  1. Helpful
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 1 December 2020 23:55 PM UTC
  3. # 3

Yes, PowerServer 2020 is a long-term support version so it gets minimum of 5 years of support.  Here is more info about Appeon’s EOL policy: https://www.appeon.com/products/eol-policy.html

Also, just to clarify, PowerServer 2021 supports ~100% of PowerBuilder features so in the future when you upgrade to the new version it won’t be much work.

Comment
  1. Peter Allison
  2. Wednesday, 2 December 2020 00:06 AM UTC
Thank you so much Armeen for the quick reply. It is much appreciated. My hope is to get our current project completed and into production. I will then look into PowerServer 2021 and decide our direction as we start enhancing our application
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.