1. Paul Murray
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 28 July 2018 12:43 PM UTC

Greetings All,

If I install the 30 day trial of PowerServer 2017, can I apply the license later or would I have to uninstall and reinstall?

Thank you,

Paul

Light Zhao Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 1 August 2018 08:46 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Paul,

You will have to uninstall the trial version first and then install the official edition, after that you can apply the license.

Any further questions please let us know.

Regards,

Light Zhao

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 30 July 2018 16:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Paul;

FWIW: Personally,  I would not worry about PowerServer licensing beyond the trial period for your development environment. In PB2017R3 (revision #3) being released later this week, it will now include PowerServer Web and PowerServer Mobile with the Universal Edition at no extra charge. Also, the version of PS with R3 will now utilize the online licensing model controlled via the User Center like PB2017Rx already offers. Plus, off-line DB support on the Mobile devices will also be included with this PS edition!    wink

The only extra PS licensing / cost consideration after R3 Universal development will be for production use of PS.

Food for thought.  HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Paul Murray
  2. Wednesday, 1 August 2018 13:28 PM UTC
Thanks Light and Chris!!

Someone at Novalys told me I could apply the prod license to the Trial version so we installed it yesterday. Now with Chris's comment, I guess we will wait a day or two to install R3.

Not sure what this means, Chris: "The only extra PS licensing / cost consideration after R3 Universal development will be for production use of PS."

Thanks!!

Paul
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 1 August 2018 14:13 PM UTC
Hi Paul;

What I was trying to explain with R3 having PS included in the PB Universal product price - you do not need any additional PS license or costs for Web or Mobile development. The PS that comes with R3 is the which is a full featured "developer" version but, only supports 5 concurrent connections.

If you would like a larger concurrent user PS version for say your QA or System Integration environments (ie: 25-50 users), you would be required to purchase another PS license for that concurrent user support level. Then for production - where you may require support for 100's of concurrent Web/Mobile users - you would need to purchase another PS license for that higher concurrent user level. The only optional part above the production license would be for a "Clustering" option for two or more production PS's where fail over and load balancing would be required.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

1. Helpful
Tom Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 30 July 2018 05:22 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi, the 30 day trial starts from the date you install the trial version. If you do have a reason to extend the trial period when it expires, you can contact support@appeon.com to extend your trial license. 

Regards,

Tom Jiang

Comment
  1. Paul Murray
  2. Monday, 30 July 2018 15:21 PM UTC
Thanks Chris!! So when I get my updated license from Novalys, do I have to do anything to make it work for web and mobile or is there an additional cost for that?

I can install the trial which will do both web and mobile, but when I try to use my existing product key to install from the GA release it only recognizes the key I pick 'web' only.

Paul
  1. Helpful
  1. Tom Jiang @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 31 July 2018 01:23 AM UTC
This may be a little complicated:

The trial version doesn't not require a product key to install and you can test all the functions (web/mobile). But it is purely for trial purpose, so it can't not be activated with a permanent license. . You will eventually have to remove it.

Now, on the other hand, a standard version requires a product key to install. After you install it, it comes with a 45 day temp license, which means you can also test it without having to apply a license immediately. As to what functions you have, it is determined by your product key. But when you are ready, you can activate the server permanently with a license. You can check with your vendor for the cost of upgrading your product key. They will probably provide you a new product key or they will have to provide you a special license. .
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 31 July 2018 02:56 AM UTC
Hi Paul;

Your product license key will determine whether you have PowerServer Web, Mobile or both. I can't really answer your questions as I do not know what you purchased from Novalys. What I was suggesting though was using PB2017R3 for development as it now includes both PowerServer web and mobile development all in one price (PB Universal Edition).

For production, your costs would be whether you purchased the web, mobile or both features of PowerServer and how many maximum concurrent users you are anticipating. The licensing mechanism for production would be different as that would be a physical file generated by Appeon.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.