1. Michael Skinner
  2. Beta Testing
  3. Friday, 28 May 2021 13:02 PM UTC

Hello All,

I have a question about the new PowerClient Deployment for 2021. I believe I know the answer all already but just to confirm.

This feature will require all database connections to be VIA the webserver, having a local LAN connection will not be possible? I believe the answer is yes, but just wanted to ask. Since some of my colleagues believe LAN connections are possible.

Thank You,

Mike 

Michael Skinner Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 28 May 2021 15:24 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 1

Armeen,

Thanks and I was confusing the two.

Mike

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 28 May 2021 15:30 PM UTC
You're very welcome.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 28 May 2021 15:16 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 2

Hi Michael,

I think you are mixing up PowerClient and PowerServer.  PowerClient is already released as new feature of PB 2019 R3 while PowerServer 2021 will be newly supported in PowerBuilder 2021.

PowerClient automates the install and updates of client/server apps.  Your apps remain as client/server with local database connection.  The following feature tour will educate you of what PowerClient is: https://www.appeon.com/products/power-client

PowerServer converts your client/server app into a cloud-native app.  So as Francisco mentioned, your app does not directly talk to the database but rather consumes its data through REST APIs and the REST APIs is what talks to your database.  The following architecture diagram illustrates how this is different than client/server: https://docs.appeon.com/pb2021/whats_new/PowerServer_deployment.html#Architecture

So long story short, if you want to stay client/server and just get rid of headaches of keeping apps updated to your users then go with PowerClient.  If you are currently using VDI (e.g. Citrix, terminal services, etc.) or need to deploy your app over the Internet go with PowerServer.

Best regards,
Armeen

Comment
Francisco Martinez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 28 May 2021 13:56 PM UTC
  2. Beta Testing
  3. # 3

Hi Michael,

That is correct, the API Server will be the one to connect to the Database engines, your Installable Cloud App app will be connecting only to the API Server when performing data queries.

Regards,
Francisco

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.