1. Jalaja Thaipally
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Saturday, 13 May 2023 02:52 AM UTC

Hello Team,

We have a Powerbuilder12.5 application which connects to SQL Server 2012.

We are upgrading SQL server to 2019 (multi-subnet listener.

Powerbuilder12.5 is not able to connect to the listener. It can connect to Primary Server

SQLCA.DBParam= "PROVIDER='SQLNCLI11',DATASOURCE='" + server + "'" + ", INTEGRATEDSECURITY='sspi'" + &

"PROVIDERSTRING='database=" + dbname + ";'"

Tried with 1) "PROVIDERSTRING='database=" + dbname + ";MultiSubnetFailover='YES''"

2) "PROVIDERSTRING='database=" + dbname + ";MultiSubnetFailover=YES'"

3) "PROVIDERSTRING='database=" + dbname + ";MultiSubnetFailover=true'"

connection is failing  with error "Invalid connection string attribute for database"

Able to successfully connect to primary server.

Could you please advise?

Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Monday, 15 May 2023 00:59 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

TitsMcGee4782 !

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 13 May 2023 04:17 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi, Jalaja - 

My research shows that no version of PB has ever recognized a DBParm setting named "MultiSubnetFailover".

Even though I'm reasonably familiar with SQL Server, I'm not familiar with this feature.

In looking at the "Connection Reference" document for PB 12.5, the only DBParm setting I can see that involves failover capabilities is the FailoverPartner" setting. Below is the documentation of that setting (two images, as it spans two pages):

I have no idea if this setting will help you in this situation, but I wanted to make you aware of it.

You realize, I hope, that since PB 12.5 was released in 2011 there is a reasonable likelihood that it may not be able to fully utilize all of the features of SQL Server 2019.

Best regards, John

Comment
  1. Jalaja Thaipally
  2. Saturday, 13 May 2023 16:27 PM UTC
Thank you so much John
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 13 May 2023 03:03 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Jalala;

Tip: The PB 2019 DB Profile painter would be your friend here to get the SS2019 connection working. Once connected to SS, then check out the "Preview" feature in the DB Profile painter to get your PB Apps proper SQLCA connection settings that it should be using.  HTH

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  1. Jalaja Thaipally
  2. Saturday, 13 May 2023 03:14 AM UTC
Thanks Chris. Is it possible with PB12.5?

PB12.5 with SS2012 is working. But we are upgrading the server to 2019.

PB12.5 wiith SS2019 is working with primary server and not working with listener
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Saturday, 13 May 2023 12:46 PM UTC
Yes, PB 12.5 has the same DB Profile painter & features as well to check SS connectivity & also see the SQLCA settings.

Make sure that you replace the SS2012 DB client software driver with the new SS2019 DB client software for PB 2019.

For production use / testing... I would recommend testing the SS connectivity using Microsoft's iSql utility. If if can connect ok - then PB should now connect properly as well.
  1. Helpful
  1. Jalaja Thaipally
  2. Saturday, 13 May 2023 16:27 PM UTC
Thank you so much Chris
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.