• build Scripts with cake or nuke
  • VS Extensions, like Resharper, web stuff from Mads Kristensen and more
  • Installer
  • Intellisense
  • Intellicode
  • Live Share
  • Interactive Mode

Info:

In my opinion, the IDE should make my Developer live easier. It assists and makes the Dev more productive.

All the little helpers will accelerate the development time and with automation, we decrease errors.

The Dev can focus more on solving the business problem instead of focusing on technical infrastructure.

So, what is the benefit of using SnapDevelop, why should I leave my “already” working Dev Stack? (What can´t I do with Visual Studio?)

[I’ve learned that you are using Nuget for Snap and Powerbuilder Libraries!]

Can someone help me with that… Am I missing something?

Thx... Marcus

Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 June 2019 21:46 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Marcus,

PowerBuilder 2019's C# features really has 3 key areas, as outlined on the PB product page:

1. .NET Data Access Objects
  2. C# Migration Solution
  3. C# IDE

What you are pointing out is how the C# IDE compares to VS, and your points are valid.  The key value of the C# IDE is that it is free, and in our market research we found that some PB customers are just looking for a basic C# IDE and don't already have VS licenses.

So then what's great about the new C# features of PB 2019?  Well I would say it is the .NET Data Access Objects and C# Migration Solution, which you can use with VS or any other C# IDE for that matter.  In other words, the new C# features of PB are open, and you can put together a best of breed solution.

If you are looking to migrate your existing PowerScript app to C#, I think our C# migration solution is the best option out there, and has far lower cost and risk compared to a full-blown rewrite.

Even if you are doing new C# development with VS, I think using our .NET Data Access Objects instead of Entity Framework is far simpler and provides far greater productivity.

Regards,

Armeen Mazda
CEO, Appeon

Comment
  1. Marcus Kraus
  2. Thursday, 13 June 2019 04:44 AM UTC
Thank you for the answer Armeen.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Govinda Lopez @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 12 June 2019 20:24 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Marcus,

The PowerBuilder C# IDE provides essential developer productivity features, such as project wizards, intelligent code completion, code assistance, solution management, and more. Plus, one of its most important features is the DataWindow Migration Utility, which is, at the moment, only found on PowerBuilder C# IDE. It is easy to use, Lightweight, and it comes integrated with the PowerScript IDE. And it will keep on growing with lots of new very useful enhancements and unique features (see product roadmap). Here you can learn more about the PowerBuilder C# IDE

But, if you like your current editor, you can still use it. Since the generated code is pure .NET, you could even use a Text Editor. Of course, using PowerBuilder C# IDE makes it easier to migrate and maintain your .NET DataStores, but you can still use your current configuration if you'd like.

Regards,

Comment
  1. Marcus Kraus
  2. Thursday, 13 June 2019 04:41 AM UTC
Thank you for the answer Govinda !
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.