1. Mark Malin
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 14 September 2022 06:09 AM UTC

Hi all,

I was doing some experiment with PowerBuilder 2021 and WebView2 controller hosted in .Net.

I used the basic and simplest setup in .Net. Basically, just opening a static webpage.

I placed a WebBrowser controller on one side and a WebView2 controller on the other side for comparison and better visualized understanding.

Then I made the PowerBuilder to launch the window.

As can be seen from the image below. PowerBuilder opens the window but only the WebBrowser controller is displayed (left side).

The right side, which contains the WebView2 controller remains empty.

Note that debug did not show any exceptions, errors or warnings while loading. In fact, this window displayed properly on both sides, when launching it from the .Net itself.

I was wondering. What is the support stage of WebView2 controller in the PowerBuilder 2021?

Any advise to make WebView2 controller operable (displayed) is appreciated.

Thank you

John Fauss Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 15 September 2022 14:11 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi, Mark -

It's a little ways out in the future, but replacement of the current Chromium-based web browser engine with WebView2 is on the PB 2022 roadmap:

https://www.appeon.com/developers/roadmap#upcoming

Comment
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 15 September 2022 15:01 PM UTC
It says for 'next major version' a revamp of the IDE to support modern editing features. I wonder if it would be a good idea to incorporate PB desktop development directly into SnapDevelop and retire the old IDE.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 15 September 2022 15:17 PM UTC
Hi Roland;

FWIW: Sybase tried that under VS and the customer base sent them back a resounding - NO Way, don't change the IDE. ;-)

However, a greatly enhanced Script Editor & AutoScript features are key improvements to have - IMHO.

What are other PB Developers thoughts?

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful 1
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 September 2022 15:12 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

WebView2 and WebBrowser are both Chromium based so there may be some conflict. Try a window with only WebView2.

Comment
  1. Mark Malin
  2. Thursday, 15 September 2022 04:55 AM UTC
Hi Roland,

Thank you for your reply.

Your suggestion was my first experiment. Although the result was much the same. Nothing was displayed.

But, when I started it straight from the .Net, it just worked.

I made both WebBrowser and WebView2 controllers at the same window for visual clearance, especially for when I need to present and discuss it.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 14 September 2022 10:25 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Mark;

FWIW: I would retest this under PB 2022 as the built-in Web browser control has been totally revamped internally.

Regards ... Chris 

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.