1. Rich Dolan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 31 December 2019 17:09 PM UTC

We have a Powerbuilder application that uses the Amyuni PDF converter, currently running on Powerbuilder 12.5 with no problems.  We are in the process of converting the application to Powerbuilder 2019 and would like to continue with the Amyuni product and use one of the new Powerbuilder themes that are available to modernize the application.  We have the Amyuni product installed using the Developer Version which uses their Install.exe program to install the Amyuni PDF Printer on each client, which is running Windows 10 Pro.

In order to produce the PDF, the application needs to enable the PDF printer by using Amyuni functions such as SetFilenameOptions, SetJpegCompression and then EnablePrinter.  Then the application uses the PrintDataWindow powerscript function to produce the PDF.  The PDF does get created successfully.

The problem we are encountering has to do with the window display corruption after the PDF is produced.  On or more invisible datawindow objects are used to create the PDF documents, and the main window flashes one or more times, and then ends up in a state where some of the invisible datawindows appear through the main visible datawindow and the screen becomes corrupt and needs to be closed and reopened.

This problem does not occur when Themes are disabled.

I reported this problem to Amyuni support and was given this reply:

"Last year, we detected that Powerbuilder 2017 was missing some implementations for parameter properties from OLE objects.   It is possible that the problem is still present in PowerBuilder 2019?"

Thanks for any assistance on this problem.

Rich Dolan

Who is viewing this page
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 2 January 2020 04:26 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Rich,

In order to better address this issue, I suggest you submit a ticket on Appeon Support ticketing system(https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug) and also provide a small reproducible case when submitting.

In addition, due to that this issue happens when executing Amyuni PDF, it involves a third party company so Appeon can’t debug this part of functionality internally. Amyuni PDF company replied to you that ‘Last year, “we detected that Powerbuilder 2017 was missing some implementations for parameter properties from OLE objects’”, could you please check with them exactly what parameter properties were missing in PowerBuilder 2017? Thanks in advance.

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Ken

Comment
  1. Rich Dolan
  2. Thursday, 2 January 2020 21:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Ken. Amyuni support said they would get back to me Monday with more exact info on what the 2017 version comment meant. I will open a ticket with Appeon once I find out what other information Amyuni has about this.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 1 January 2020 03:39 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

How are you displaying the PDF within the app? I don't think the problem is with Amyuni generating the PDF file, it is a problem with the PDF display control.

Comment
  1. Rich Dolan
  2. Thursday, 2 January 2020 21:12 PM UTC
Hi Roland,

The app creates to PDF in without viewing, all you do is set the printer to the Amyuni PDF Printer and then print from Powerbuilder. You tell the PDF converter where to put the PDF. The damage to the datawindow happens while it is printing. After the PDF is created, we just use Acrobat Reader if the user wants to view the PDF. I found a circumvention for now, after the PDF is created, I set the VISIBLE attribute to FALSE on any of the dw's that are used for the PDF. This seems to work for now.

Rich
  1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Thursday, 2 January 2020 21:26 PM UTC
You could do a ShareData with a Datastore and print the Datastore as an alternate to changing the visible property.

Are you using my Amyuni object? http://www.topwizprogramming.com/freecode_amyuni.html
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 31 December 2019 17:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Rich;

Yes, the "Theme" feature does affect the DWO inside the DC/DS control container. I have no idea though how this might affect the Amyuni driver as the PrintDataWindow() normally just outputs a standard postscript data stream for what it thinks is a real printer.

Sounds like we may need to dig deeper "under the hood" on this aspect. I would like to suggest that you ...

1) Create a Support Ticket with a simple PB App "Test Case" that uses a Theme and the Amyuni DLL

2) Try the PB2019R2 beta (mid-January) and see if that works OK as the Theme feature has been refactored significantly.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Rich Dolan
  2. Thursday, 2 January 2020 21:15 PM UTC
Thanks Chris. I will create a support ticket. Rich
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.