1. Mark Francis
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 4 March 2021 14:19 PM UTC

I am upgrading some applications from 2017 R3 to 2019 R3 build 2670 and am having an issue.   It all converts find and runs interactive fine.    But when I compile if I compile as 32 bit, Symantec will quarantine the file for Heur.AdvML.B Risk and the exe will not generate correctly.   If I generate as 64 bit will generate file.     So there is something with the 32 bit install with this version / Build.  Is this a known bug?  Is there a fix for this?   

Further information, if I generate 32 bit PCODE I get the issue as above, if I generate as 32 Bit Machine Code it will generate and not flag infected from Symantec.   Hopefully that narrows down where the possible issue is.   

Julie Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 12 March 2021 09:07 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Mark, 

Now we suspect that Symantec is falsely detecting the applications compiled in 32bit pcode as risk, and our team has contacted Norton for help. Note that with every release we will test against multiple anti-virus software to make sure the product is virus free.  It does happen quite often that the anti-virus software vendor need to update their virus definition file to fix the problem.  

Best regards, Julie

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Mark Francis Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 March 2021 20:08 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I am not sure if it is a compatibility issue with Windows.  Symantec intercepts the file as it is written and quarantines it and it is not valid and thinks it is infected.  But only when compiling it at PCODE 32-bit.     I do see there are other similar issue in the Q&A in the past with Mcafee as well.   I do not have this issue with PB 2017R3 with the exact same code.  So it has to be something with generation in PB2019R3... 

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 4 March 2021 20:50 PM UTC
Ahhh ... yes, that does sound like an AV issue. I just had the same problem a few weeks ago with the new PB2021 beta with my MS-Windows "Defender" AV. However, updating the definitions cured that issue.

My suggestion now would be to open a Support Ticket for this problem.
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 March 2021 17:15 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Mark;

In the Project Object for your PB App ... are you including a "Manifest" (security tab)?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Mark Francis
  2. Thursday, 4 March 2021 18:28 PM UTC
To date I have never included Manifest Information. I did try it, but it did not resolve the issue. Note that the applications are client server applications.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 4 March 2021 19:28 PM UTC
Hi Mark;

Thanks for trying that. I have encountered similar runtime EXE issues when moving Apps to W10 and the manifest cured those issues up for me. Of course, your issue could be totally different.

Have you tried using the W10 "Troubleshoot Compatibility" mode feature (RHMB the PB App's EXE)?

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.