1. Gregory Rusak
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 13 December 2018 19:28 PM UTC

In PowerBuilder 2018 will we be able to make direct calls to 3rd party .Net non-visual assemblies that are not COM callable?

For example, eBay .NET SDK APIs https://developer.ebay.com/tools/netsdk

Thanks.

Gregory Rusak Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 14 December 2018 18:09 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Thanks for that Chris,

On that same note then, in PowerBuilder 2018 will it be able to handle complex datatypes returned from the C# .Net dll as well as overloaded functions? What about C# dlls that return classes?

Thanks.

Greg

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 14 December 2018 18:18 PM UTC
Hi Greg;

If you choose the new C# Web API or C# Assembly feature - you will be coding and building using the *same* Editor, Compiler and Linkage Editor as VS uses so .. the answer to all your questions is YES. ;-)
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 13 December 2018 20:05 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Gregory;

Yes, even though the C# .Net Assembly in PB2018 will be based on the .Net Core technology - that DLL will be able to call another .Net DLL directly based on being built in .Net framework.

Note that you can consume the EBay .Net Assemblies today directly using PB2017Rx's Web Service feature as they support calling non-COM visible .Net framework DLL's.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Steve Sagodi
  2. Sunday, 16 December 2018 17:26 PM UTC
Chris can you clarify for me if a .Net assembly will be able to be consumed from our standard MDI application using PowerScript. We really need to have the capability to integrate 3rd party products bundled as non visual .Net assemblies.

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 16 December 2018 18:53 PM UTC
Hi Steve;

This is a different question on the PB native client apps vs a.net core Assembly calling a .Net framework Assembly or vice versa.

AFAIF... The .Net Core is a subset of the .Net framework and as such does not implement the full Com Callable features that the .net framework does. So my initial guess would be "No".

However, I'll double-check with Engineering to be certain.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Monday, 17 December 2018 15:44 PM UTC
Hi Steve;

I checked with Engineering last night and they said that Com Callable is supported under .Net Core 3.0 - which is what all the new C# features in the next PB major release are being built upon.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.