1. Mary Jane Foster
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 15 April 2021 19:43 PM UTC

Hello:

We moved to Git SCC about 2.5 months ago.  One of our developers is experiencing an issue where it isn't saving the change.  It is a simple change to an attribute - changing the background color of an object.  In trying to resolve the situation I noticed the following:

• Files exported from PB & opened in Notepad++ have the UCS-2 LE BOM encoding
  • Files in the ws_objects folder are encoded in UTF-8-BOM

Can you tell me if this is supposed to be this way, or are they supposed to have the same encoding?  Does it matter?  I ask because when we exported the object that wasn't saving, edited the encoding to match what was in the ws_objects folder, saved and imported back in, made the change, it saved and showed the green checkmark.  The developer committed their change.

But after the developer rebased to master, the attribute change wasn't there again.

I am new to Git and do not generally mess with encoding - but we did a diff on the exported object vs the object in ws_object to see if we could spot a difference.  In P4Merge the only difference we saw was spacing.  So I wondered if it was a configuration issue.  The developer prefers Notepad++ so we tried to do a diff using that, and it failed because the encoding was different.  That's what lead me down the encoding path.

The developer has also done a full rebuild.

I may be down a rabbit hole so I am reaching out for help.

1.  To get a high level view of why an export from PB has different encoding than ws_objects

2.  To see if you have any suggestions about resolving the issue.

Sorry about the verbosity, but I felt by giving more information up front I would save everyone time on the back end.

Thanks.

MJ

Mary Jane Foster Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 16 April 2021 11:58 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Tom:

Thank you for the quick response - the encoding information is appreciated.

Migrating to 2019 R3 is in the queue, but it will be 2-3 months before we start.  I've never reported a bug with a replicable test case, so figuring out the best way to do that will be fun.  laughing  All sorts of challenges this week.

Happy Friday!

MJ

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Tom Jiang @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 16 April 2021 05:33 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Mary,

When you export an object, you also have a list of encoding options you can choose from and it is default to Unicode LE. But when Git was integrated to PowerBuilder, as UTF8 is used by Git, it is a nature choice to default to UTF8 for the source files in ws_objects folder. 

In the latest PowerBuilder 2019 R3 you also have an option to choose other encoding when adding a workspace to source control, including ANSI/DBCS, HEXASCII, UTF8. 

HEXASCII was used for the old source control through SCC. So you may try if changing to HEXASCII will resolve your issue. Note: You will need to use PowerBuilder 2019 R3 and restart your source control from "Add to Source Control" to be able to set this option. 

In the mean time, Please report a bug via our support ticketing system at https://www.appeon.com/standardsupport/newbug with a replicable test case, so we can further analyze the issue. 

Regards,

Tom Jiang

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.