1. Simone Olianti
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 11 December 2019 13:07 PM UTC

Hi there, i'm experiencing a strange behaviour using PB Native source control (PB2019 Build 2082).
I'm working on an application migrated from pb2017 and it is like the second time that i grab an object using check out, modify it, then check in. Later take it locally again using check out and surprisingly the previous code changes are gone. It looks like that it doesn't happen always but only sometimes. The strange fact is that for now i am the only user working on this app and the scc version of the indicted objects looks ok.
Already tried to migrate the app again, deleted the server folder containing all the objects and recreated them again from scratch, but didn't help.

Anyone else having same issue? Any ideas?

tia,

simone

p.s. same issue even on PB2017 R3 Build 1915

Accepted Answer
Michael Kramer Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 13:06 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

PBNative isn't a complete source control solution. Instead, it gives you rudimentary undo capability on currently check-out source-code. You have no history of changes in PBNative.

Your issue may come from the way you have setup PBNative in your environment. But instead of fixing the issue I suggest move to a more complete version control solution.

git is probably the most widespread source control solution and seems to remain as such. git has several "pros":

• Free!
  • Your choice of diff tools. Many are free, not all.
  • Your choice of "visual git client". Some are free, not all.
  • Supported by most modern tools beyond PowerBuilder. EX:
    • Visual Studio
    • VS Code
    • SnapDevelop
  • Your choice of dev mgmt tools. EX:
    • Azure DevOps or TFS
    • JIRA
  • Lots of free online learning resources like videos on YouTube.

PB IDE's git integration gradually improves as each new release adds additional functionality. I would pick git.

If you want a centralized version control solution instead of git you have a wealth of choices. SVN is one. Another option is WizSource at $65 per developer if I remember correctly. Check its link for further details.

HTH /Michael

Comment
  1. Simone Olianti
  2. Sunday, 12 January 2020 11:38 AM UTC
hi again, i've picked git and everything working fine, except that often the pb ide crashes (closing itself) when i commit the changes using "git commit". I've uploaded my project using GitHub (not sure if it is the right choice) and using TortoiseGit for handling logs and diffs. It happens on both PB2017 R3 and PB2019. TRied a full build, several refreshes but it keeps crashing very often. Any ideas?
  1. Helpful
  1. Michael Kramer
  2. Sunday, 12 January 2020 17:52 PM UTC
Hi Simone, I suggest you create a new question to start a new thread. This thread marked resolved probably has less people checking for new content.

I'm pretty sure the instability is caused by your tool combo. No full rebuild can help. I'm running: Win 10 (64bit) build 19041 (early build for 20H1), git for Windows (git on my machine), SourceTree (visual git client), and as diff toll combination of WinMerge + VS Code. So I will have hard time repro your issues.

I'm sure others are using TortoiseGit with GitHub like you do.
  1. Helpful
  1. Simone Olianti
  2. Monday, 13 January 2020 13:59 PM UTC
thank you Michael
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 18:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Simone;

FWIW: I am using the native SCC feature with PB2017R3 build 1915 and PB2019 build 2170 (latest MR). This feature was also working OK before with lower builds as well.

I wonder if this is an issue of where your placing the native SCC location, your anti-virus, of even maybe some corrupted PBG files (used for SCC control)? FYI: I am using W10 build 18363 PC's utilizing the MS-Windows "Defender" built-in AV.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Simone Olianti Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 12:25 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

hi again, looks like the same issue is on PB2017 R3 1915.

is anyone else experiencing same behaviour using Native Source Control?

Is there a better source control that i could use even on PB2017?

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 12:33 PM UTC
I recommend using Git or SVN. These are the world’s leading source control software, Microsoft has standardized on Git, and PB natively supports both Git and SVN.
  1. Helpful
  1. Simone Olianti
  2. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 13:20 PM UTC
thank you Armeen, i'll have a look
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 11 December 2019 17:36 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Simone;

I would copy your PB2017Rx based App version code to a new PB2019 app work folder and remove all the .PBG files. Do not activate any SSC for your 1st migration step in PB2019. Once the PB2017 App is migrated successfully & a Full Build has been done in PB2019 with no errors, only then would I reactive SSC. However, do not point the native SSC to the same folder that you used for your PB2017 version of the App. Instead, allocate a new SCC folder. Then perform a "Add to SSC" for the complete PB2019 app version.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Simone Olianti
  2. Thursday, 12 December 2019 11:48 AM UTC
thank you chris! i did id exaclty like that except i forgot to delete the .pbg files...
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 12 December 2019 20:14 PM UTC
Hi Simone;

That is excellent news .. thanks for the feedback!

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
  1. Simone Olianti
  2. Tuesday, 7 January 2020 12:23 PM UTC
looks like the issue is still there after some time...

it worked ok for a bit, then started again. now i am really worried
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.