1. Andreas Mykonios
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 16 November 2023 09:15 AM UTC

Hi.

Every time a new release of powerbuilder is available, I'm facing issues with our antivirus. But this one is very strange. It has to do with PB 2022 R3 Beta. Antivirus detects pbvm.dll as malicious!

I've already checked the hash list from the screenshot and referenced MD5, SHA1, SHA256 are the same for that specific dll. Of course the file is quarantined. This is happening while the installer is running. But even if I later try to copy that file from a VM, it's also recognized as a threat, and again quarantined. Has anyone else ever seen a similar problem?

Andreas.

Andreas Mykonios Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 17 November 2023 06:44 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Armeen.

From what I see it is signed.

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 17 November 2023 15:48 PM UTC
Appreciate the info. Just keep in mind in a beta we don't always sign everything that should be signed.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Armeen Mazda @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 16 November 2023 17:52 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Adding to what Chris said, our beta versions are typically not digitally signed.  Many anti-virus software and even Windows OS itself doesn't like that.  So it is quite common to get these kind of false positives with a beta version.  

You did the right thing to verify the hash value.  If the hash value is correct then you don't need to worry PowerBuilder itself contains a virus.  We have thorough process of scanning the source code as well as object code for viruses before we release.

And please do report these false positives to the vendor so they improve their antivirus software.

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 16 November 2023 15:22 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Andreas;

FWIW: I am not having any AV issues with any PB 2022 Rx releases (or even running PB 2025 early Pre-Alpha for the upcoming Elevate conference next week) on my W0 or W11 machines - but, I use the MS-Windows "Defender" AV instead.

I would suggest that you contact your AV Support team to have the AV software vendor address this improper scanning problem.  HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.