1. Amit De Picciotto
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 12 September 2023 13:02 PM UTC

Dear all,

Based on this announcement, there are a few questions:

• Is it mandatory to install the .NET 6 with PB 2022 R2 standalone compiler (PBAutoBuild220.exe)?
  • Is it mandatory to install the .NET 6 with PB 2022 R2 IDE?
  • How does the .NET 6 components should deliver to end users (AKA customers that are using applications that been created by PB 2022 R2)?
  • Does .NET 6 included on the PB packager? Should i enforce my users to install .NET 6 (my policy is not include 3rd party on my setup, but ask it as prerequisite)?
  • How all security vulnerabilities of the .NET 6 should be handled?  - adding picture to illustrate it, security vulnerabilities of .net 6 should be handled by Appeon as the ones that installed it?
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 13 September 2023 09:47 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

the information in the link posted in "announcement" https://docs.appeon.com/pb/whats_new/ch01s01s14.html, doesn't have a 100% correct information. The other day I imported a DLL from someone and it did not work with LoadWithDotnet. Also, PB2022 R2, still allows you to manually change to LoadWithDotNetFrameWork, contrary to the information given, so that in this case things worked again.

Not every DLL can (easily) be changed to .Net 6 or 7 as there might be dependencies, so hopefully we can use LoadWithDotnetFramework for some more time. I don't think it was a genius' move to take that option out while importing a DLL, but hey, as long as the workaround works, I'm happy.

regards.

Comment
  1. Amit De Picciotto
  2. Wednesday, 13 September 2023 10:17 AM UTC
Many thanks, Miguel!

So, at least regarding the DLL importer (import C# DLL), as long as I work on .netFrameWork (4.8), I will use the LoadWithDotNetFrameWork()

1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 13 September 2023 11:15 AM UTC
YW,

Yes, I myself did manage to get a DLL that uses .Net Framework 4.7 to work with "LoadWithDotNet", but that's a very simple DLL without any third party dependencies.

regards.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Wednesday, 13 September 2023 11:20 AM UTC
For another DLL that we have, I tried running Visual Studio 2022 "Upgrade" to migrate to .Net 6, but I got lots of errors which I couldn't solve (I'm a noob in .Net), so I'm "hoping" we can keep using LoadWithDotNetFramework long enough for this Visual Studio "upgrade" process to improve and help us out a little bit more when having to migrate to .Net 6 / 7.
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 12 September 2023 13:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi Amit;

Q1: Is it mandatory to install the .NET 6 with PB 2022 R2 standalone compiler (PBAutoBuild220.exe)?

A1: No but .Net 3.1 is now obsolete (deprecated) - so I would only use .Net 6

Q2: Is it mandatory to install the .NET 6 with PB 2022 R2 IDE?

A2: Yes but only for PowerServer projects.

Q3: How does the .NET 6 components should deliver to end users (AKA customers that are using applications that been created by PB 2022 R2)?
Does .NET 6 included on the PB packager? Should i enforce my users to install .NET 6 (my policy is not include 3rd party on my setup, but ask it as prerequisite)?

A3: Yes & No ...

• Yes=> If your PB App "Imports" a .Net C3 Assembly
  • No=> PowerServer projects only use .NET 6 in the middle tier (aka on a server).

Q4: How all security vulnerabilities of the .NET 6 should be handled?  - adding picture to illustrate it, security vulnerabilities of .net 6 should be handled by Appeon as the ones that installed it?

A4: That is why you would then use: A) HTTPS; B) EXE Signing; and/or C) Tokens (ie: oAuth, JWT, etc).

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Amit De Picciotto
  2. Wednesday, 13 September 2023 10:22 AM UTC
Chris,

Thanks for the valuable information, in case i'll have more questions (as I intend to release my product based on PB 2022 R2), I will address it

Thanks!
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.