1. Rudolf Fürst
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Thursday, 4 February 2021 18:46 PM UTC
Hello,

We have massive problems after switching from 2019 R2 to 2019 R3. Program aborts 
that cannot be reproduced sporadically occur.PB 2353, Oracle 11.12 and iAnywhere 17. Around 100 employees have a total of around 10 terminations per day. A batch program crashes after 2:30 with more than 50,000 transactions. I was able to trace a dialog function (see appendix). The script is on a button. Line 90 was still executed. Does anyone have an idea or know such problems? Many Thanks, Rudi

Attachments (1)
Rudolf Fürst Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 26 February 2021 13:35 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1
Hi Chris,
My customer provided me with a dump file today. Maybe this can be used to analyze the problem.
Thanks and regards

Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Friday, 26 February 2021 21:00 PM UTC
Hi Rudolf;

I cannot see anything specific from the dump but, it is suspicious that the NTDLL.dll comes up in the dump as this *could* be a network related issue.

I would now suggest opening a Support Ticket for this problem and attaching the dump file (now that we have one) to the ticket for further investigation.

Regards .... Chris
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  1. Thursday, 25 February 2021 18:57 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2
Hi Chris,

I had already downloaded PB 2670 on February 9th. That's why I uninstalled PB and reinstalled it (release). A full build ran automatically when the programs were taken over. Then I migrated all targes and compiled the programs. I'll deliver the whole thing tomorrow and hope. I'll get some feedback over the next week.
Typical feedback from the customer:
Unfortunately, production planning had problems with the new LoLa booth again today
(from 02/09/21 with the new runtime).

Apparently the program often did not react and then simply crashed.
This probably occurred sporadically at different points in the program,
so far we have unfortunately not been able to reproduce the behavior.

Thanks and regards
Rudi

Comment
  1. Wednesday, 24 February 2021 16:30 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 3

Hi Chris,

I installed the Powerbuilder build 2670 on a new virtual machine, packed the runtimes and delivered them with the program. Unfortunately, the stability has not changed. There are 3 examples in the appendix.
Do we have the option to reset from PB2019R2 to PB2019? We have been using R2 since April 2020. Are the DW’s from PB2019R2 compatible with PB2019? We would expand the ribbon bar again
Regards   Rudi
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 24 February 2021 18:53 PM UTC
Hi Rudolf;

Did you also perform a "Migrate", "Full Build" and then a "Compile" of your entire PB App from the build 2670 IDE installed on the VM?

As far as the return to PB 2019 GA ... I hope that you have an App Back-up of the GA version of your application. Taking your R2 version of the PB App back to GA will probably encounter object source code issues.

Regards ... Chris
  1. Helpful
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 19:31 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 4

Thanks Rudolf;

Your event log definitely states that your App is running a PB2019 R2 build 2353 based App. So you you do not have to worry about PBVM DLL's from R3 crashing your PB App EXE.

What could be your problem though is:

1. There are some lower version based PBVM DLL's (say from release - build 2323) or even the GA release of PB in your App's EXE environment. That would allow your app to start but could "derail" it once further execution starts. So make sure that all the PBXXX190.dll's in the deployment machine match your PB IDE development environment build - for example their date/time stamps and sizes match exactly.
  2. The next issue could be the DLL's that are provided in the PB IDE's runtime that are not of the PBxxxnnn.dll format. These DLL's are for example: LIBxxxx.dll, MSCVPxxx.dll, etc. These are all well documented in the PB Help file under the "runtime" deployment list of DLL's. If you mix these non-numbered DLL's from PB 2019 Rx or event from PB2017Rx - as they are the same names - your App's could definitely have random runtime crashing issues. So this would also be another "deployment" consideration to make sure that these DLLs come from the proper PB build.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Comment
Miguel Leeuwe Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Saturday, 6 February 2021 23:51 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 5

Hi Rudi,

I'm a bit confused: You are saying "

We have massive problems after switching from 2019 R2 to 2019 R3

"

Is your customer running an executable made with R2 or R3?

It could be someone forgot to install the runtime for R3 or maybe someone forgot to install the new application compiled against R3?

regards

Comment
  1. Rudolf Fürst
  2. Monday, 8 February 2021 08:48 AM UTC
hi Miguel,

sorry, copy and Paste. Dies Prblems whith switching 2019 to 2019 R2

Rudi
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Monday, 8 February 2021 09:15 AM UTC
Ha no problem, all clear now.
  1. Helpful
Olan Knight Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 5 February 2021 17:56 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 6

Miguel is right: this is most likely due to running the new 2019R3 EXE with 2019R2 DLLs.

1. Uninstall PB2019R2.
2. Manually check the various folders to ensure that R2 has been deleted.
3. Reboot the PC/VM.
4. Install R3.
5. Install your app.
6. Test.

That should resolve the issues you are experiencing.

Olan

Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Sunday, 7 February 2021 00:19 AM UTC
And delete the *190.DLLs from the "Lola" folder where "lola.exe" is, (on the image you can see it is or is being looked for in the same folder as the executable)! That's going to be quite a job if you have 100 users. I can easily imagine several users having incorrect installs of either the application or the runtime or both.
  1. Helpful
  1. Friday, 5 February 2021 11:50 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 7

Hi Chris,

my customer made this event log available to me
Regards
Attachments (2)
Comment
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Saturday, 6 February 2021 23:59 PM UTC
But yes, pb 2353 IS R2.
  1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Sunday, 7 February 2021 00:01 AM UTC
No, the App EXE built from R3 would not even attempt to load a PBXXX190 DLL. So he's definitely on R2.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Sunday, 7 February 2021 00:24 AM UTC
Yes, that's why I think he might be running an R2 application, having no longer the R2 runtime. (I don't know, let's see if Rudi confirms why he said "after swiching from R2 to R3").
  1. Helpful
Ken Guo @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 5 February 2021 09:37 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 8

Hi Rudolf,

Currently it is hard for us to locate the issue based on your description. I suggest you:
1. Reinstall PB, make sure the PB runtime files are correct and see if it is OK.
2. Or use a clean machine that doesn’t have any PB products installed before and then install PB 2019 R3 directly to see if the issue still exists.
3. In the directory where yourapp.exe resides, create a pb.ini file with the below content and then run your application to see if it is OK.
[Data Window]
ACCESSIBILITY=0

If the issue still exists after trying the above steps, could you please provide a test case for us to analyze?

Regards,
Ken

Comment
  1. Rudolf Fürst
  2. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 16:29 PM UTC
Hi Ken

I installed Powerbuilder on a new VM. I compiled the program with R3 and delivered it. The only change was - it only ran 2 hours before it crashed (R2 2.5 hours). I also made dialog programs with R3 available to the customer. If necessary, I will receive feedback on the stability in the next few days.

what is the meaning of [Data Window] ACCESSIBILITY=0

Regards

1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 17:46 PM UTC
It disables disability settings of windows for 'disabled' users. (or users who make use of those settings). As it seems, they cause 'speed' problems on Citrix with powerbuilder.
  1. Helpful
  1. Miguel Leeuwe
  2. Tuesday, 9 February 2021 17:47 PM UTC
Exactly, you've confirmed that this problem is not on developers' machines but on installed app on a customer.

regards.
  1. Helpful
  1. Thursday, 4 February 2021 21:35 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 9

Hi Chris

Line 90
Function uf_tracefilter("destroy lds_help")
integer li_file
li_file=fileopen("_planungfilter.txt",LineMode! ,Write! ,Shared! ,Replace! )
filewrite(li_file,as_expr)
fileclose(li_file)

mostly no entry in event log
I'll check it out with the customer tomorrow

No change of DBMS version or build

The program ran for several hours without interruption

the crash in IDE and runtime

I run some .. /debug in the past. most crashes near an destroy

regards

Comment
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Thursday, 4 February 2021 20:04 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 10

Hi Rudolf;

Can you tell us ...

1. What command is at line 90?
  2. Did you get any mini-dumps when the App crash occurred?
  3. Can you check and see what is in the O/S Event log around that App crash?
  4. Have you run a /PBTRACE on the PB App EXE?
  5. Did you change a DBMS version or build?
  6. Did you change a DB Client used to connect to the DBMS?

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.