1. Kevin Ridley
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 15 May 2018 15:26 PM UTC

From my discussions with Armeen & Co. it sounds like I can use PB 2017 as the client, but as far as deploying components and the VM for EAS it would need to stay on PB 12.x.  Just want to ask if anyone is doing that currently or are most EA Server apps sticking with 12.x for both client and server?

Also for anyone still using EAS, have you successfully upgraded to java 1.8?

Thanks,

Kevin

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 15 May 2018 18:26 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Kevin;

EAS was EOL'ed by Sybase quite a few years ago. The only version of EAS that I can still run on newer MS-Windows versions is 6.3. That EAS version though is hardwired for JDK 1.7 (I believe) if my memory serves me correctly and still onl runs in 32bit mode.

PB 2017 does not support EAS projects - due to the above.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Tuesday, 15 May 2018 19:01 PM UTC
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  When you say 6.3 is "hard wired" for jdk 1.7 can you be more specific?  I remember having to go through a bunch of config files and manually change settings to a newer jdk for this client on a previous version of EAS.  Not sure if it was 6.2 or 5.x, but I had to set the jdk manually along with path to the new jdk.  Guess it's going to be an adventure again trying to get up to 1.8.

Do you have any old clients still running EAS?  If you do, do you remember their configuration in terms of PB/EAS/JDK versions?  My end goal is to get them on PB2017 client (or 12.x if I have to) and maybe 12.x VM/components on EAS with the highest jdk I can get to work.  I remember that EAS 5.5 performed much better and was more stable, so ideally if it will install and run, that would probably be the best solution if it's even possible.  Thanks again and any additional help would be appreciated.

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Wednesday, 16 May 2018 13:57 PM UTC
Hi Kevin;

By "hard wired" I meant at installation time. You are correct ... its a bit of a PIA - but, you can change the configuration files to utilize a newer JDK.

From my consulting days, I only have one GOC client that is still running EAS 5.5. They could not move to 6.x due to the performance degradation.

For EAS migration though to .NET Web Services, I would contact Mr Don Clayton at Intertech. They have a lot of EAS experience and some novel ideas on how to migrate to IIS  and preserve most of the EAS features that your Apps might be using.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Roland Smith Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Tuesday, 15 May 2018 17:16 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Have you tried deploying from PB2017? You can't create new projects but my guess is that existing ones might work.

I can't verify because the version of EAServer I have won't install on Windows 10. Mainly because anything written in Java is crap.

Comment
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Tuesday, 15 May 2018 18:22 PM UTC
I would think the PBVM version running on EAS would have to be the same as what you're deploying from, but maybe not.  The client in question does not currently have PB2017 so I can't try this out (yet).  I'm going to upgrade one of their current EAS apps to 12.5 or 12.6, whatever they have in house.  I know they at some point want to get at least the client portion on a supported release, so I'll probably first bring them up to 12.x, then maybe PB2017 if they decide they want to go that far.  Does PB2017 still have a PBVM?  Maybe I'll mess around and try to get that running on their dev EAS box or maybe a dev machine just for kicks and giggles, lol.  I know Chris had a bunch of EAS stuff running for Canada.  Idk if they have migrated them all or not.  I want to find out what others are doing if they are not rewriting at this time.

1. Helpful
  1. Kevin Ridley
  2. Tuesday, 15 May 2018 18:25 PM UTC
You said: "I can't verify because the version of EAServer I have won't install on Windows 10."  Does it really not install at all, or just installs but won't run?  Based on the version of Java the machine is at, there may be a bunch of config changes you need to make.  Last time I did work for this client, I think we upgraded to Java 1.5 or 1.6 and I had to make a whole lot of config file changes manually just to get it to run.

1. Helpful
  1. Roland Smith
  2. Wednesday, 16 May 2018 01:32 AM UTC
The PBVM install is just a group of runtime files that are also used by desktop apps. PBVM170.DLL is the main VM file

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.