1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Wednesday, 31 January 2018 19:53 PM UTC

I have downloaded PB 2017 R2 and am running into the same problem as back in the day with PB 12.6. I first uninstalled PB 2017 and then installed R2. It installed ok on my laptop (Intel, Windows 10 latest version) but will not start. Ten seconds egg-timer and then nothing. Appeon PowerBuilder 2017 R2 (32 bit) shows for a short time in the task manager in background processes with no movement and then gone. PB 2017 worked fine. Same story if I install on a VM. I downloaded it again and ran setup as administrator but no joy.

I am now scared to install it on my production box.

Any ideas?

Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 31 January 2018 20:42 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hi Gerry;

Please make sure that you uninstall PB 2017 first.

Then run the R2 installation in ADMIN mode.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 1 February 2018 03:09 AM UTC
Hi Gerry;

That file is there for me OK (Universal Edition)  ...

What EDITION are you trying to install ... Standard, Cloud or Universal?

Regards .. Chris

1. Helpful
  1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. Thursday, 1 February 2018 08:01 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

On my laptop I uninstalled again and this time I installed everything and now it starts up! Apparently PB doesn't like you to be picky about which components to install.  It would be nice to be able to just install the basics and later, when needed, to be able to install other components as does Visual Studio. With PB you have to first uninstall and reinstall the complete package.

As I have said previously, it's really great that issues are actually read by Appeon. Thanks.

Gerry.

P.s. It's cloud.

1. Helpful
  1. Chris Pollach @Appeon
  2. Thursday, 1 February 2018 15:02 PM UTC
Hi Gerry;

That is great news that you were now able to install R2!  

I'll pass along your experience though to the Engineering team about installing PB and selecting limited feature set and its pitfall about SCC.

Regards ... Chris

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Mike S Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 31 January 2018 20:34 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

I have no suggestions, but maybe check your anti virus?  Did you uninstall the prior version first? (PITA that we have to do that...)

FWIW, i installed R2 this morning, and during the presentation i ran a full SCC GET and Build process of my fairly large application.  Everything ran fine: the get, the build, and my  application all ran with no problems at all.   The IDE works fine too, but i did have to log back in to the license manager (it apparently logged me OUT automatically? maybe during the uninstall of R1).

Comment
  1. Gerry Whitmarsh
  2. Thursday, 1 February 2018 08:05 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. On my laptop I uninstalled again and this time I installed everything and now it starts up! Apparently PB doesn't like you to be picky about which components to install. 

Gerry.

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.