1. Hung Doan
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Tuesday, 9 January 2018 16:40 PM UTC

Hello,

I'm trying to deploy my app PB2017 running on Windows server 2012 on a CITRIX server and Oracle 12c.  I am able to create the app on both 64-bit and 32-bit.  This app is working fine on Window 7 PCs with oracle 12 client both 64 and 32 bit.  The problem is when I install on the server.

64-bit app

Installed Oracle client 64-bit successful.  Test Oracle connection from SQL developer successful.  But when I run the app I received the error "OCI.DLL cannot be loaded."

I tried to install Oracle client 32-bit on the server but was not successful.  The install crashed without any meaningful error messages.  I tried to install Oracle client 32-bit on debug mode same result no meaning full error in the log file.

Question:

Since I can install 64-bit oracle client, I can create 64-bit PB app how can I get rid of the OCI.dll errors?

32-bit app

I cannot install 32bit oracle client on the server.  Any suggestions?

I appreciated any help.

Hung Doan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 17 January 2018 17:43 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

This issue is resolved.

I created the registry entry below and was able to install Oracle 32bit on the server.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOTFWARE\Wow6432Node\Oracle]

inst_loc  C:\Program Files\Oracle\Inventory

I don't recommend install instant oracle client.  Install the admin option instead.  Once you installed it, use SQL Developer to test your connection.  Once the connection is established the Oracle client install is working.

Comment
  1. Rob Stevens
  2. Tuesday, 8 May 2018 02:32 AM UTC
Hi

I think I have the same issue but with running the PowerBuilder 2017 IDE itself. The machine it is installed on only has Oracle 64bit client. Are you saying I need to install 32 bit client (seems pretty odd that I would need a 32 bit client these days for this??)

Are you able to post a bit more detail around how to go about installing the 32 bit Oracle client on a machine that already has 64bit. For example - what do you set in the registry for that key you mention?

Kind regards

Rob

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Wednesday, 10 January 2018 00:59 AM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Hi;

FYI .. the PB Oracle driver (ORA) is actually only an interface that in turn calls the real actual Oracle client interface OCI.DLL. Thus the reasons for your issues could be ...

1. Oracle client not installed
  2. Oracle client installation library not in System Path
  3. Oracle client installed but not of the correct bitness

HTH

Regards ... Chris

PS: I would highly recommend using the Oracle Instant Client installation.

Comment
  1. Hung Doan
  2. Wednesday, 10 January 2018 16:56 PM UTC
Thank you Chris!

I reinstalled Oracle client 64-bit 12c yesterday with the Administrator option.  I tested the oracle client from SQL developer and I can connect to the db.  I will check on the system path to see if the path include the oracle folder.  Do I need to include in the system path with the BIN folder?

If the system path is correct, I will try to reinstall Oracle client 12c with the Oracle Instant Client.

This is the first time I create my app in 64-bit and running on windows server 2012.  We have no issues running 32-bit on windows.  Do you see any potential issues that I may run into if I use the 64-bit?

I still don't understand why I cannot install oracle 32-bit 12c on this windows server 2012.  Is there components from windows server 2012 we must have in order to install Oracle client 32?  As far as the oracle installation is concern, do you know what is the different between the 32-bit and 64-bit client installation?

Thank you so much for your help!

HD

1. Helpful
  1. Adele Malherbe
  2. Monday, 12 March 2018 06:49 AM UTC
Hi,

Can you give us the reasons why it is better to install the Instant Client please?

Regards,

AM

1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.