1. Dennis C. Clark
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. Friday, 29 May 2020 01:58 AM UTC

Hello all - I tried to search for similar postings on this issue - could not find exact match. 

Our Network group is trying to upgrade to Oracle Client 19 and we are currently already migrated to Oracle 19c without any problems, with PB 2017 R2 build 1769. We have no problems connecting with our current Oracle Client, but we are getting an error on trying to sign on to Oracle with our PB application, that it cannot load the OCI.dll:

image.png

Normally in my limited experience this error occurs when the 64 bit Client only is installed and PB needs the 32 bit. 

In our case the Network group has loaded both versions in the following directories:

C:\app\product\19.0.0\client_32
C:\app\product\19.0.0\client_64

They have added these to the Path:

Is this enough for PB to find the correct 32 bit DLL? I don't recall trying to have both versions on the same client in the past, so this is all a bit beyond my experience, if it's even doable. 

Also, normally in the past, PB has been upwardly compatible - and Oracle Client - on using latest Client with an older version of PB, but of course new Client functions introduced will not be used by PB - but is this perhaps not the case now with this version of the Client?

We are using Oracle Client 12 now, unless I am mistaken, including with Oracle 19c and no problems.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Dennis Clark

First Choice Health Network

Seattle, Washington

Accepted Answer
Chris Pollach @Appeon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 May 2020 14:49 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # Permalink

Hi Denis;

FYI ...

1)  PB2017 R2 is not O19C compatible. That DBMS compatibility was added in PB 2017 R3 build 1915

https://file.appeon.com/download/APB/2017/R3/MR/build_1915.00/PowerBuilder%202017R3_1915_to_2017R3_1880_fixes.htm

2)  PB 2017 R2 will be EOMM this coming June 1st, 2020.

https://www.appeon.com/developers/end-life-notice-pb-im-2017.html

Thus, there will be no more support. I would encourage you to move to R3 soon.

Note: PB2019 build 2170 and higher is another update alternative that also includes O18C/19C support.

Regards ... Chris

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 29 May 2020 15:10 PM UTC
Adding to what Chris said, another benefit of upgrading to PB 2017 R3 is it is a long-term support version rather than standard version. Please read more about our EOL policy: https://www.appeon.com/products/eol-policy.html
  1. Helpful
There are no comments made yet.
Dennis C. Clark Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 May 2020 18:29 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 1

Hello, Chris and Armeen - all right, thanks for that info, I will relay it back - I assume that also means the 19 Client should work just fine with the later release? I assume we are still in 32 bit land, right? 

Just still want to ask, is it possible you think to have both Oracle Clients installed and with the proper path as above the new release of PB will grab the 32 bit version?

I understand about our current release not supporting Oracle 19C but I am also concerned still about the Client - in other words do we have two problems here as we have been using the current PB release against 19C without any problems except one that we worked around but with the older Client - I am not in the position to dictate what version we use so I am not advocating we stay on the older one, but I just want to make sure what the exact problem is here. I will relay back the fact our current version is very soon about to be EOMM. Sounds like it would make sense just to go to PB 2019 version, but let's see. 

That has a nice sound, 2019 - I first started working with PB with Version 2 in 1992, and have been working with it ever since then. 

Thanks, sorry for the long message!

Dennis Clark

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 29 May 2020 18:38 PM UTC
Yes, the Oracle 19 client should work find with the latest build of PB 2019 R2. We already have customers upgrading to Oracle 19c.

All versions of PowerBuilder support both 32-bit and 64-bit. Depending on which .EXE you deploy to your users, your users will need to have the appropriate bitness of Oracle19 client installed. For example, 64-bit .EXE cannot use 32-bit Oracle 19 client.

Your problem with the older PB release and older Oracle client against newer Oracle 19C database could be because of the mismatch or because of config issue. If you would like Appeon support team to help you investigate, you would need to purchase a Premium Support ticket because help with unsupported environment not covered by Standard Support.
  1. Helpful
Dennis C. Clark Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
  1. Friday, 29 May 2020 19:18 PM UTC
  2. PowerBuilder
  3. # 2

Thanks for all the information, I will relay it all back. Best and all keep well!

Dennis Clark

Comment
  1. Armeen Mazda @Appeon
  2. Friday, 29 May 2020 19:41 PM UTC
You're welcome. You too!
  1. Helpful
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this question yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this question.